student submit quiz vs automatic submit when time out , how to know ?

student submit quiz vs automatic submit when time out , how to know ?

by Mohammad Nabil -
Number of replies: 7
on a facebook group , i asked a question from student that do exam via moodle , he say that there was a system issue at the start of exam , but fixaed quickly , the teacher extend the exam by extra 30 minutes, ( 5:30 , instead of 5:00)
the student say that the exam submitted automaticaaly at 5 : 00,
the teacher taljed to moodle admin and say that was fault of the student that submit at 5 :00
-------------------------
so i suggest look at the log in the moodle site and see
if the user submit the quiz himself, an event named "Quiz attempt summary viewed" is triggered if the quiz submitted automatically , this even will not triggered, is it right ?
in other words, how can difereniate between quiz submitted by students , and automatically when the time out ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohammad Nabil

Re: student submit quiz vs automatic submit when time out , how to know ?

by Laurie Miles -
This is a great question. I would also like to know the answer.

by Rahul Joshi -
I believe while setting quiz up there is a setting called time limit and if you have enabled this setting you must extend the time limit here as well in order to extend the close quiz time(I believe this is what you extended). Please let me know If I am wrong.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Mohammad,

Yes, this is correct:

- if the user submit the quiz himself, an event named "Quiz attempt summary viewed" is triggered
-if the quiz submitted automatically , this even will not triggered, is it right ?

This is the only difference between the two, otherwise the other log entries (start, view and submit) are the same.

Please see the attached screenshot which shows two test users taking the same quiz but the first user, id 3, finishes the quiz themselves, while the second one, user 4, waited until the time out automatically submitted for them.  Otherwise, the events are the same for both users. When the time out submits for the user, it skips the summary review process, does the submission and then takes the user directly the review screen.

Anyone can verify this is true by creating a simple quiz with a one or two minute timeout and then taking it as two test students, with one test student completing it and the other allowing the quiz to time out.  Which is exactly how I did the test in the screenshot.

Randy

Attachment screenshot_9603.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Laurie Miles -
This is very helpful Randy. Thank you.
In reply to Laurie Miles

by Randy Thornton -
Laurie,

Nice to see someone in NC still using Moodle smile
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Mohammad Nabil -
Thank you

by Randy Thornton -
Mohammad,

You are welcome. I wish that the Submitted event actually had the user set to -1 for a system event instead of a user event, and then put the user id as object or related user instead. That would make it clear that the user themselves did not click the submit button but the system timer submitted the quiz instead. But it does not. It treats them exactly alike.