Ghost Attendance sessions appearing in Upcoming Events block and Calendar

Ghost Attendance sessions appearing in Upcoming Events block and Calendar

by Bebe Frayle -
Number of replies: 7

I've created a series of Attendance activities each with one session within a course, and then enrolled users in the sessions using groups. 

For some reason, some users have 'ghost' sessions appearing in their Upcoming Events / Calendar

The sessions aren't actually in the system anywhere I can find (they look like old ones I deleted or renamed). When I click on the session link, it takes me to the correct session for that user.

Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour and how I can fix it?? Some users have 10 or more ghost sessions in their calendar!

Things I've tried:

• Delete the (test)user, re-upload, re-add to the course, re-add to the session - other sessions reappear
  • Turn off 'Create calendar events' in the Attendance settings, reset the calendar then turn create events back on - legit sessions go away when 'Create calendar events' is turned off, but the ghost sessions never go away
  • Delete all the sessions and remake them -  legit sessions go away when 'Create calendar events' is turned off, but the ghost sessions never go away

Help??Ghost activity

Attachment Ghost Activity.PNG
Attachment Upcoming events.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bebe Frayle

Re: Ghost Attendance sessions appearing in Upcoming Events block and Calendar

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
theres a "reset calendar" tab in admin > plugins > attendance that might help?
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Bebe Frayle -
That was point two in the things I tried - didn't help. It reset the legit events but not the ghost ones...
In reply to Bebe Frayle

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
weird - I haven't seen this before sorry! - what version of Moodle and what version of the attendance activity are you using?
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
Looking through the old bugs in the github tracker - there were a few issues back in 2017/2018 related to calendar events not cleaning up, but hopefully you're not using a Moodle system that old? - if you are, you might need to upgrade to a recent supported version of the attendance plugin and may need to ask your moodle hosting provider to manually clean up the old invalid events at the db level.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Bebe Frayle -
We are using Moodle 3.9.1 (Build: 20200713)
The Attendance Plug In version is Release 3.8.4

The system is new and we are just doing pre-release testing...

I am really hoping I don't need someone to do a db clean up, our infra support guys are already grumpy they have to support us to begin with!
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Bebe Frayle -
I'm going to have my devs look at the issue but they think it's a bug - what's the process for reporting this?