Roleplay module add-on: RFC: Role Play Module

Roleplay module add-on: RFC: Role Play Module

by Penny Leach -
Number of replies: 21
There has been quite a bit of discussion lately about role plays [0] and we've been defining & making a bit of a specification over on the NZVLE wiki on Eduforge.org [1]

Someone here at Catalyst will be starting work on this shortly in our git repostitory [2], (which has an rss feed [3] if you feel like following the development) and eventually we'll be aiming this for a contrib module. If it's popular, we can always petition MD for it's inclusion in core later on.

It would be great to get some feedback from the moodle community on this, with ideas and suggestions! I will incorporate suggestions into the wiki page as necessary.

0: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=33325#162089
1: https://eduforge.org/wiki/wiki/nzvle/wiki?pagename=Role%20Play
2: http://locke.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=moodle.git;a=shortlog;h=mdl-roleplay
3: http://locke.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=moodle.git;a=rss;h=mdl-roleplay
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Penny Leach

Re: Roleplay module add-on: RFC: Role Play Module

by Bill Burgos -
Hi Penny,

This looks very promising! I can think of a number of ways to use this in cross-cultural communication, negotiation, and problem solving skills training.

If the development team needs some actual training material for reference, let me know and I can send off a few pdfs.

Bill
In reply to Penny Leach

by Matt Crosslin -
This sounds very interesting.  I had some thoughts - maybe these were covered in the Wiki already (I have only really scanned through it).

When I think of role playing, I think of the Dungeons & Dragons type games, which I never played (video games took over at a young age for me).  But from what I understand, the players role a dice to see what happens to them in situations, to simulate "luck" or whatever.  Also, the person in charge of the game throws in specific circumstances to make the game interesting, and then sees how the players react.  This could be interesting in a role-playing module.

Players are given a set of choices, and then what they choose determines how the role-play goes.  I think the "Lesson" module already handles lessons like this, but it would be interesting to see the discussion format of role playing follow this, too.  Pick choice one, you are stuck in xx thread (or chat room), choose choice one, you are stuck in yy thread, etc.  And you aren't allowed to cross post, until that section of the role play is over.  There could even be a "randomized" choice that simulates roling of dice, where the teachers gives a set number of options that could happen, and students are randomly assigned to each one, and has to deal with it from there.

Also, I could see the need for the teacher to have several roles, and maybe need to play different "characters" at different times.
In reply to Penny Leach

by Leticia Maimann-Roland -
I'm pretty interested in the possibility of implementing a role-playing and simulation module in Moodle. I've read the article Martin's posted in another topic and it's very interesting and fits well in some language teaching approaches (I'm Brazilian Portuguese as Foreign Language teacher)

I migrated to Moodle recently and I'm still thinking how to migrate my so-full-of-role-play-classes into the my courses.

My biggest difficulty is to integrate my virtual world Flash animation with Moodle modules or blocks, which would be too much great. Every time I think about role-playing, I think about something quite much graphic, with good visual appeal... maybe coz my Flash developer background.

Is it what you people are thinking about? It sounds like some huge work! But I'd love to help wink

Anyway, I'll read the links provided by you, Penny!

Letícia.
In reply to Leticia Maimann-Roland

by Martín Langhoff -
Hola Leticia!

The code is ready for 1.6 if you follow those links above. Have you tried it?

We are going to be working on getting mod/roleplay ported to 1.7/1.8 soon. But you shouldn't wait -- we need help testing and providing feedback the 1.6 version now.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Art Lader -
Hmm... I have a live 1.6.4+ installation I could do a little testing with, but I am not seeing a download link for the role play mod, Martin. Am I just missing it?

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Art,

I haven't tried it but... try clicking on the link No. 2 above and then click on "snapshot".

Hi, Martin!

I'll download it and start trying asap!

I was craving for working with simulation in Moodle wink

In reply to Penny Leach

by Donal McMullan -
We have an update to the Roleplay module that we've been working on here at Catalyst. The module currently works only with Moodle 1.6, but it should work with both PostgreSQL and MySQL. It is adapted from the Forum module.

In a traditional teacher/student scenario, the module would allow a teacher to create a forum, with the following additional options:
  1. Maximum roles per participant
  2. Students may choose their own role
  3. Roleplay still visible once complete
The teacher then has the option to:
  1. Create a bunch of new roles for the roleplay
  2. Import roles she has already created to the roleplay
  3. Import site-wide (public) roles to the roleplay
Once there are enough roles to cover all students, the teacher can open the roles up for students to adopt their own roles, or can assign a role to each student herself.

The teacher may also adopt an alias for the roleplay, and when posting to the forum, will have the option to post as the role, or as herself.

It is hoped and expected that students will be able to post to the forum without worrying that their identity will ever be known to other students.

If this module is useful or interesting to you, please post your feedback here. We're really keen for this to take on a life of its own.

Roleplay Module in Contrib
Roleplay Module Download
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Donal McMullan

by Julian Ridden -
Looks like you have posted it up without the lang file.

Could you get that included. i am keen for a bit of a play. smile
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Martín Langhoff -
Hola Julian!

If you go here http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=moodle-r2.git;a=shortlog;h=mdl-roleplay
and follow the link to "tree", you can drill down to lang/en_utf8/roleplay.php

anyway, it's here wink
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=moodle-r2.git;a=blob_plain;h=bd4c0534245d96f138ba4b126c3192c9895ab85a;f=lang/en_utf8/roleplay.php

BTW, I'm sure this works ok with 1.7 as well, but it doesn't do anything fancy with the newfangled roles.

by Julian Ridden -
Ahhh..should have known that.I was hunting in the sourceforge CVS rather than your GIT. Silly me :P

For anyone else who was lost as I was, I have attached the lang files to this post.

P.S. No luck in 1.7. Got that wonderful new "This SQL relies on obsolete tables" error sad
In reply to Penny Leach

by N Hansen -
Roleplaying can obviously have great learning benefits, as long as the real identities of the role players are explicit. Allowing people to play roles anonymously I believe would only encourage what is becoming a serious problem on the internet and that is people hiding behind fake names to carry out attacks on others. I would argue that it is more realistic for students to at least know who are playing the other roles rather than be totally anonymous. Because in real life we have to answer for our actions when we do them with our own name attached. An anonymously played role will probably act differently from how people normally should act.

In reply to N Hansen

Re: RFC: Role Play Module

I think it's important to give the students the chance to talk, act and pretend anonimously. However, you are right when you say that being totally anonymous can interfere in students' behaviour.

Perhaps only the teacher should be able to see which student were playing which role in the end of the simulation coz it might be even important for the teacher to provide some feedback for that students who commented, acted or infered some 'wrong' thing. In my point of view, if the teacher can not know which one is which one, then he can not assist the students accordingly.

In reply to Leticia Maimann-Roland

Re: Re: RFC: Role Play Module

by Martín Langhoff -
Hi Leticia. Have you had a chance to try the module? With the current implementation, the teacher can see their true identity throughout the exercise.

I am wondering whether it would make a big difference to prevent the teacher from viewing who's who until "game's up".

I think that what matters most is the perception that students have of how serious the masquerading is. So if a tutor conveys to the students that they are safe behind their masks... that is a lot more important than how the software works.

OTOH, it is important to make sure that everybody understands that they do not get perfect anonymity. You don't want them to completely embarrass themselves...
In reply to N Hansen

by Pere Grapi -
Hello,
I'm very interested in this Roleply module but as a newcomer in this field I miss a tutorial to set up a roleply activity and to know how it works.
Pere
In reply to Pere Grapi

by Stuart Mealor -
Has anyone tested Roleplay in 1.8 yet ?

Stuart
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Martín Langhoff -
We need to put a bit of work in porting it to 1.7/1.8 and merge it so that it makes into 1.9. Or people keen on helping w that...

by Chris Potter -
Just wondering if this has been successfully ported to 1.8 yet? Right now, I'm getting an "Obsolete SQL" error on a fairly recent build.
In reply to Chris Potter

by Martín Langhoff -
AFAIK the plan is to re-implement based on roles/capabilities, but I'm not sure how far along that is...

by Chris Potter -
I see. I'm not sure how much help I could be, but if there's some documentation on what needs to be changed to make this happen (from the 'old' method to the new one with the roles system), I could probably work on it. I have a professor looking to use this with 1.8 soon, so I'd be willing to invest some time.
In reply to Penny Leach

by Phill Pover -
I know this module is ancient, but is there any news on it getting updated, or is it being left to die? If it is, I might try and give it a rework when I get a chance, but if there's someone out there that could give me a few pointers, or want to help me get this mod working again, that would be great. Having only worked with moodle since version 1.9, I'm not sure how the older version differ, so trying to find the issues might be tricky, but always up for a challenge.