Upgrading Moodle and Stack/Maxima

Upgrading Moodle and Stack/Maxima

par Andrew Stevenson,
Nombre de réponses : 4

Hi,

We wanted to upgrade to Moodle 3.9.2 on our CentOS 7 based VM, which we did successfully along with the STACK plugins. However, when we checked the health script, we saw the error below.

ERROR:

Exception - stack_cas_connection: MaximaPool error: 0
which is basically just a general error, so that is no help.

Thinking there was some sort of incompatibility with the versions of Moodle/STACK/Maxima, We upgraded to Moodle 3.7 (Build: 20190520), but still saw the error. Although getting better, I'm not experienced with Linux and certainly not with STACK/Maxim

STEPS:

Update STACK plugins

• git clone git://github.com/maths/moodle-qbehaviour_dfexplicitvaildate.git /var/www/html/moodle/question/behaviour/dfexplicitvaildate
  • git clone git://github.com/maths/moodle-qbehaviour_dfcbmexplicitvaildate.git /var/www/html/moodle/question/behaviour/dfcbmexplicitvaildate
  • git clone git://github.com/maths/moodle-qbehaviour_adaptivemultipart.git /var/www/html/moodle/question/behaviour/adaptivemultipart
  • git clone git://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack.git /var/www/html/moodle/question/type/stack
  • git clone git://github.com/maths/quiz_stack.git /var/www/html/moodle/mod/quiz/report/stack

I tried following the steps here -> https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=347901 but I received an error stating there was an invalid option -M when I setfacl --recursive --modify user:root:rwX /usr/lib64/maxima/

One thing is that I didn't understand how to enter what is below, which is probably why I am getting the error.

maxima

#load additional libraries here!

load("/data/moodledata/stack/maximalocal.mac");

load("/var/www/html/moodle/question/type/stack/stack/maxima/stackmaxima.mac");

:lisp (sb-ext:save-lisp-and-die "maxima-optimised" :toplevel #'run :executable t)

Can somebody please help?

thanks

Andy

Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Andrew Stevenson

Re: Upgrading Moodle and Stack/Maxima

par Ken Task,
Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not everyone runs moodle the same ... had to figure out what 'stack' was ... ok - a question type for Moodle.   But what is 'maxima'?

https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/blob/master/doc/en/Installation/index.md

Oh, after digging some more on maxima in above page it does say something about recommended versions of maxima in the section:

"Install gnuplot and Maxima

Ensure gcc, gnuplot and Maxima are installed on your server. Currently Maxima 5.38.1 to 5.42.2 are supported. Please contact the developers to request support for other versions.

We currently recommend that you use Maxima 5.38.1.
"

Anyhoo ...

From what I found:

https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/blob/master/doc/en/Installation/index.md

find ./var/www/html/moodle/question/behaviour/ -name .git

To see if all the hidden .git directories are in those directories.

The -M option ..

Help on that command:

When reading from files using the -M, and -X options,  setfacl  accepts
       the  output getfacl produces.  There is at most one ACL entry per line.
       After a Pound sign (`#'), everything up to  the  end  of  the  line  is
       treated as a comment.

Guess, since I don't run, shouldn't have responded ... but ... might helped you give re-thought etc.

'SoS', Ken

En réponse à Ken Task

par Visvanath Ratnaweera,
Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Translators
Yep, it is about the STACK question type, an integration of the _symbolic_ mathematics engine STACK. It is immensely powerful, the installation is not so trivial as to be expected. But there is perfect documentation and great support on their original site. That plus the on-line "health check" mysite/question/type/stack/healthcheck.php helped me, when I dived in to it.

In any case, this is a topic for the Mathematics tools forum. In fact there is a similar discussion going on there already. See STACK/Maxima errors after upgrade.
En réponse à Visvanath Ratnaweera

par Andrew Stevenson,
Hi Vivanath,

I have actually seen this page., but I had a number of issues outside of Moodle that I was working one, so I may have missed something. Before we upgraded Moodle, we had 5.41.0 of Maxima installed, but I'll look into downgrading. Maybe when I ran the git command it installed the latest version, which we are unable to select in the Moodle Sys Admin panel.

Thanks for posting.
En réponse à Ken Task

par Andrew Stevenson,
Hi Ken,

Apologies - I assumed people would know about Stack and I didn't explain what it was.

gcc, gnuplot and Maxima are installed. I understand about # being a comment. I copied and pasted the block for speed sourire

Thanks for posting.