using moodle to access mysql ODBC driver 3.51

using moodle to access mysql ODBC driver 3.51

by William Wright -
Number of replies: 2

i am trying to speed up my moodle as much as possible and i am wondering if using ODBC mysql driver 3.51 will speed things up.  unfortunatly i can find no documentation on it at this site. and i am wondering if php/mysql combo is designed so as to not use ODBC data sources i am running moodle on windows 2003 server and access is slow on network and internet i don't have the fastest internet connection just 300K upload but i am not getting heavy usage either and i am hoping to boost my internet performance.

to further clarify the local access to server is fast and good but even across a 10/100 lan the on a client machine it can take a minute to load the page or longer.

to further clarify access across lan only connection for internal of firewall only by ip fast but when i access the external version that is used outside firewall page can take minute or longer to load and i am getting time exceeded error messages

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Wright

Re: using moodle to access mysql ODBC driver 3.51

by Siegwart Mayr -

In my experience, ODBC will slow things down instead.  PHP/MySQL are designed to work together directly, so they are more efficient.

The fact that it is taking long for a client to access your server on a 10/100 LAN makes me think something is not quite working with your server or network.  Moodle is pretty fast, so taking 1 min to load a page is not normal.  On a 10 mbps LAN takes me 1 sec to load it.  A few more seconds over dial-up, but not 1 min.

From what you are saying, access to or from outside is slow, so it might have to do with DNS, firewall, or router problems.

To discard misconfiguration on your Moodle site, try using Moodle from the server console.  If it works fine there, you probably have a network problem rather than a website problem.

In reply to William Wright

Re: using moodle to access mysql ODBC driver 3.51

by William Wright -
thanks for the info on php/mysql i had some issues with php regarding session working  i had to switch to the cgi version of php but it still much faster now.