Uploading Moodle to Internet Host Server *Safe Mode*

Uploading Moodle to Internet Host Server *Safe Mode*

by genie zydiak -
Number of replies: 2

I purchased host server space offering PHP and MySQL capabilities so I could upload and use Moodle.

Upon attempting to upload Moodle onto my host website (Bravenet), I have been informed that the host server runs in the *safe* mode (not allowing self-installing programs). 

1.  Since I've already paid for this site (and won't be switching for another year), does anyone know a way around this problem (I've had no joy with Bravenet's tech support...who, of course, refuse to disable safe mode and/or help me with installation)?

2. Is there a way to "self-install" moodle on my desktop, and then upload the files to the server? Don't think so, but thought I'd ask.

3. If all else fails, can someone recommend low-cost host server that accommodates Moodle?

Thanks,

Genie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to genie zydiak

Re: Uploading Moodle to Internet Host Server *Safe Mode*

by Bill White -
Genie,

I don't know how much this will help but I will try.

1. I tried to get info about Bravenet, but they want me to sign up just to get more info. I didn't! Any company that wants my business needs to give me the info first so I can make an informed decision.
You will need to read your contract to see if you can force them to do something. I doubt it but it is worth the look.

2. Yes you can install Moodle on your desktop. I do all my developement on my local machine before uploading to the server. But you need to install Moodle on the server first. Again what kind of access do you have to the server? Moodle needs to set up the database with the correct tables and permissions to work.

3. How many students will be connecting to your Moodle, how many students will connect simultaniously, how many courses will you offer, and what types of resources will you add? These will be the deciding factors. If you are starting small for at least one year, I would recommend Siteground, I have had no problems what so ever and they offer CPanel and Fantasico for installing Moodle.

If you have any questions please contact me via email or Skype

Bill
In reply to Bill White

Re: Uploading Moodle to Internet Host Server *Safe Mode*

by frank weissman -

Strange story.

How do they want you to upload HTML pages then?

Normally, you use a FTP program select all files you unzipped on your computer and then upload the files to the server. ( sub HTML/WWW folders).

Then you start up moodle ( and if you know the database password, obtained from hosting provider) you are able to install in on the server

If you are able to use FTP, you might be able to disable the save mode yourself.

I work with BLADEFTP (freeware). This progam can change the settings on the server. ( just right click a folder, properties, set permissions to 777(or check all boxes, click all apply to all files and subfolders) and yoo have all the rights.

Hope it works (don't know anything about brave net). I use hostingdiscounter (cost me about 40 euro's each year)

Frank Weissman