Turn off penalties for multiple tries

Turn off penalties for multiple tries

by Ton Boerkoel -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to set penalty to 0% by default, for multiple tries? I usually don't want to assign penalties, and have to change it from 33%  (default) to 0%. I sometimes forget ... and then students get penalized.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ton Boerkoel

Re: Turn off penalties for multiple tries

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Which question behaviour/quiz settings are you using?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ton Boerkoel -

I am using Moodleformulas, I am using the quiz settings that come with it. I don't know what "behaviour' means in this context

In reply to Ton Boerkoel

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Question_behaviours
Definitely worth knowing about, you might try Adaptive Mode (No Penalties)
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Ton Boerkoel -
Sorry I am quite new to the Moodle Quiz lingo ... I finally realized behaviour refers to a quiz setting, and adaptive mode is one of these. But this means that I have to change the mode for the entire quiz. I am just interested in changing a default setting for individual questions. From what I read Adaptive mode has students do the quiz one question at the time and I need to set the feedback to at least correct or not. That is not what I want for a test. I want them to be able to do the entire test in the order they want, where they can go back and forth between questions and redo them without penalties and I want to give them feedback after the test. So that seems to be deferred feedback mode. In that mode the questions have by default a 33% penalty per attempt. Is there a way to reset that default to 0%?
In reply to Ton Boerkoel

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you are using Deferred feedback, that per-question penalty setting has no effect. Just create the quiz with deferred feedback, and allow unlimited attempts. I think you will find that works the way tyou want.