Downloading backups

Downloading backups

by Mark Stanton -
Number of replies: 4
Is there a feature available in Moodle to download backup files?

Otherwise, where Moodle is integrated into a website run by someone else, there may be no way to get those files (for example to run a local copy of a course set up elsewhere) without involving the site admin, which is always a much longer process sad

Regards
Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Stanton

Re: Downloading backups

by Andy Diament -

Hiya,

If you backup a single course, the backups are stored in the course's file area, then a teacher/creator/admin can get at the files just by left or right clicking on the link to the backup .zip file.

If you aren't the teacher/creator of that course, or admin, it makes sense that you have to arrange it with someone else to access the backups e.g. having them copyied to a mutually accessible area.

For automatic backups, the files go to the course files directory or a single backup directory; you could arrange with the admin to have access to the latter, but it obviously shouldn't be a public area.

Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by Mark Stanton -
Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply.

Yes it's a single course, yes I'm the creator/teacher, no I'm not the site admin. It's on a commercial website not a university intranet.

FireFox seems to have snaffled the right click, the left click pops up a window but it's empty ('cept for an HTML header line).

Mebbe I'll need to see how the site owner set things up.

There's an "upload a file" button on the page listing backups, but that does seem to want to get me to upload a file to the backup area, which seems a bit odd thinking about it, so I'd hoped there would be a rather more useful "download a file" button, but hey ho.
In reply to Mark Stanton

by Mark Stanton -
Oooops, ID ten tee error, sorry.
Yes, right click menu has it on there sad

Back to school for me I think

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Mark
In reply to Andy Diament

by Winn Griffin -
I'm using the latest version of Moodle (not sure if it's 1.9.2 or 1.9.2+). When I right click on the backup file name to download it no "Save File As" option appears. It does when I'm not in Moodle - while using Explore, for example.