Can a child course also display content?

Can a child course also display content?

by Beatriz Rojo -
Number of replies: 5

Hi there,

I have a scenario where I thought a metacourse and different child courses would be useful, but I made a test and this approach seems not to be what I thought or I might be missing something. This is the structure:

• Metacourse contains common resources and activities for all new hires.
  • Child course A contains specific content for Project Managers.
  • Child course B contains specific content for Sales department.

I thought that I could also add content to a child course so that a user enrolled in Child course A would see the content of the metacourse (common) and of the Child course A (specific), but I haven't achieved it - the content I add in a child course is just not being displayed. Is this an expected behaviour or am I missing something?

Of course, I can work with groups, categories, and independent courses as we do now, but I thought the metacourse would be more efficient.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Can a child course also display content?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Beatriz,

By 'metacourse' I assume you are referring to the Course meta link? If so, then the functionality is only for automatically enrolling users in the course - nothing happens with course content.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Beatriz Rojo -
Thanks, Helen, yes I mean Course meta link. OK, now I understand better its functionality 😊
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The Meta thing is just an enrolment. It doesn't transport any content.

That doesn't mean, you can't have content in the child courses - but the content of a child course is only for those who are enrolled in it. In your case the Project Managers can participate in courses A and C (the meta course), the Sales Dept. in the courses B and C. That's it.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Beatriz Rojo -
Thanks, Visvanath. For this scenario, I see combining groups and permissions as a more efficient approach smile
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In fact Cohorts were supposed to replace the Meta course link. But it clings on. ;)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)