Font tags missing when printing.

Font tags missing when printing.

by Kevin Boutelle -
Number of replies: 5

I'm noticing that the font tags are missing in the HTML for the printing feature. This is causing some problems with mast heads that look very nice on-line but when printed lose font type. At first I thought this was browser or printer related but upon looking at the source code in the printed version (when you use the printer icon in book) you can clearly see that the font tags are missing everywhere except in the book title.

Is this a bug? Is this on purpose? Am I missing something?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Boutelle

Re: Font tags missing when printing.

by N Hansen -
This is intentional. On screen, things are more legible in sans serif font, whereas printed, they are more legible in serif font. This feature allows you to offer the same content in both ways.
In reply to N Hansen

by Kevin Boutelle -
Your statement is invalid. If you look at the source and my original statement there are NO font tags leaving the font selection for the printed materials up to your browser settings. This is not apporpriate.

Also, when I set body copy to look a certain way to provide a predetermined presentation and that presentation is thrown out of proportion by a theoretically random font selection it DECREASES readibility regardless of the font selected.

by Kevin Boutelle -
Apparently I made a mistake in my statement.

There is a file, book_print.css that is set up to show Times as the default font for printing. If my tags from the page that I create were in the print document they would override these style sheet settings as I understand. BUT my tags are taken out thereby allowing the CSS to dictate the fonts used and not my browser as I had originally stated.

My question now is, what process removes these font tags? How can I keep this from happening?

by Kevin Boutelle -
I realize that it is very poor form to reply to your own questions but in this instance I think that the information that I have is important enough that I should say something.

I looked at the php and css code that calls the print job and determined that there were two blocks that needed to be edited in the the css in order to retain the font styles in the original copy. After doing this my printed material looks exactly as designed.

This is what I did:

Using the file book_print.css in the \mod\book folder I edited out the entire font section and the three lines in the body section listed here.

font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
    font-size: 1em;
    font-weight: normal;

My printed materials look almost as designed. The body copy is now picking up the default font selection in the browser which is not ideal but it allows for a much greater level of detail than what I had before. Now if we can just get the body styles to remain this will be 100%.

by David Banach -
Hi,

I found this information useful.

Has anyone found a way of using the book module with out the filtering of styles and fonts? The module is perfect for the delivery of some of our content, but we'd like to be able to determine our own look and feel. Has anyone determined how to be able to control the formatting of your text in both the online and printed versions?