Forcing students to watch lectures

Forcing students to watch lectures

by jitendra dhakad -
Number of replies: 4

I upload lectures and quizes based on that lecture on Moodle. Students are directly attempting quiz without watching lecture, how can I force them to watch lecture before attempting quiz?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jitendra dhakad

Re: Forcing students to watch lectures

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can't force them to watch a lecture online - they could simply click on it and leave the room and come back when it is finished. However you can use Activity completion and Restrict access to make it so that they at least have to click on the lecture before they are given access to the quiz. Also - you could embed your lecture into a Moodle Lesson activity because one advantage of this is that there is a completion condition by time spent - ie - student have to spend a certain amount of time in the Lesson before it will be marked complete. So if you make your Lesson required time the required time of the lecture then they might think to watch the lecture while they are waiting for time to pass and the quiz is released to them.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, it is slightly defeatist to say that there is no way to force a student to watch a video. The film A Clockwork Orange illustrates one method that can be tired, but I would not recommend that pedagogic approach. I seem to remember that it did not have the desired effect in the film either. (Screen-shot here if you don't get the references. Not for the squeamish. Please, whatever you do, don't that this post as a serious suggestion.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by ben reynolds -
Clockwork Orange was my first thought as well. Highly disrecommended as a method, and definitely not for the squeamish.
There are kinder, gentler ways to assess whether a lecture has been watched.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There is also the fundamental point that watching the video may be a complete waste of time for some people, if they already konw all about what it tries to teach.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)