maintenance mode appearing when completing a course as a student

maintenance mode appearing when completing a course as a student

by altan ahmet -
Number of replies: 11

I keep getting a maintenance mode appearing, when Im using moodle as a user in a particular course ,  

I’ve not changed any of the settings ? It says the default is disabled when I look in the maintenance mode

When I refresh, it comes back to “normal “ mode ( after confirming  )

Any ideas what may be causing this ( server problem ? ) ?

Moodle 3.1.6 

maintenance mode

Average of ratings: -
In reply to altan ahmet

Re: maintenance mode appearing when completing a course as a student

by altan ahmet -
anybody able to comment ? Still get this recurring periodically even though its not in maintenance mode
In reply to altan ahmet

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Some info about server would be nice ... moodle version, how hosted, etc.

Have never experienced same. Suggest turning on debugging, try to get it to do the same again to see if there is any info about the issue. Come back here to share what it said.

You could also try adding a line to your config.php file to set maintenance mode permenantly OFF:
$CFG->maintenance_enabled='0';

'SoS', Ken
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by altan ahmet -
Hi Ken

i did state version ?
It's hosted via moodle partner

Where would i find debugging ?

Thanks Ken
In reply to altan ahmet

by Ken Task -

If hosted with Moodle Partner, why are you using community forums?  Kinda surprised running 3.1.x as it's quite old now and no longer supported for any fixes.  Would think an MP would have sites at least to a supported version for all customers.

Would think MP provider would be first point of contact for this issue.

Dunno that MP hosted sites have Debugging or not ... but if you do it's found in Site Admin Menu, Development, Debugging.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by altan ahmet -
Hi Ken , mainly because my site doesn't generate enough income to justify the £1000/year support fee
In reply to altan ahmet

by Ken Task -

Sorry, don't understand that ... do you mean your MP doesn't provide support IF your site doesn't generate enough income?

Are you using a freebie from a MP?  Support is extra???!!!!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by altan ahmet -

No Ken

I pay an annual fee just for the hosting. 

However if I want IT support ( like I'm asking you for advice now ) thats an extra circa £1000/year

In reply to altan ahmet

by Ken Task -
Maybe your MP is charging extra for support *because* site is an un-supported version (3.1.x). I could understand that. Why not have them upgrade to a supported version? Would they charge for that?
Thought when one hosted with an MP, one just did Moodle admin UX ... no ssh, no db, no backend anything ... MP does the 'heavy lifting'.

Now I know many won't like this but .... which MP is it? (not all MP's in the past have been up to whatever standards there are to be blessed an MP (use the logo/etc.)

'SoS', Ken
In reply to Ken Task

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'd expect all Moodle Partners would have separate charging for hosting and support. Sometimes you pay for extra add-ons to a hosting plan like 5 support hours a month. Keep in mind that Moodle Partners sell 'services' not a product license. So you pay for any services you require.

Here at Catalyst (Moodle Partner) we also add a surcharge to the hosting of old unsupported moodle sites to cover a security backport process which increases over time and also helps to encourage organizations to upgrade to a supported release.

Hopefully as Ken mentions, your partner has been encouraging you to upgrade to a supported release!

In reply to altan ahmet

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Altan,

This actually sounds like a potential hosting issue rather than something that would use 'support hours' I'd still encourage you to contact your web host as it is something they may need to resolve.

Unless you have some 3rd party plugins or custom code that is responsible...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by altan ahmet -
Thanks Dan, I'll mention it to them.