timecreated and timemodified in grade_grades

timecreated and timemodified in grade_grades

by Pedro Martins De Torre -
Number of replies: 3

What is the difference between the timecreated and the timemodified columns in the Moodle mdl_grade_grades table?

When do each of these two columns get updated when a student starts and/or submits an actiivty attempt?

In https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11967 Petr Skoda made this comment:

timemodified --> dategraded
timecreated --> datesubmitted

But what does that mean?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Pedro Martins De Torre

Re: timecreated and timemodified in grade_grades

by Matthew Willis -
Timemodified (date graded) records the date the grade item was graded. Timecreated records when the grade item (assignment submission, quiz attempt, etc.) was created.

Note: if the teacher/grader grades an item before it is submitted (ie, the submission or quiz is still in a draft state at the time it is graded), the timecreated field will be less than the timemodified field.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matthew Willis

by Pedro Martins De Torre -
So for TimeCreated do you mean it is when the activity completion (assignment submission, quiz attempt, etc.) was submitted by a student?

If I want to know when a grade was recorded in the gradebook do I use the TimeModified value?

Why is TimeCreated sometimes null when TimeModified has a value?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Pedro Martins De Torre

by Matthew Willis -

>So for TimeCreated do you mean it is when the activity completion (assignment submission, quiz attempt, etc.) was submitted by a student?

>If I want to know when a grade was recorded in the gradebook do I use the TimeModified value?

From my testing, yes you are correct.

> Why is TimeCreated sometimes null when TimeModified has a value?

I suspect this is when the teacher has graded an assignment/quiz/etc. *before* the student made their draft final and submitted it.