Student involvement with Learning Analytics in Moodle

Student involvement with Learning Analytics in Moodle

by Mark Glynn -
Number of replies: 2

All,

Within Dublin City University we have a big interest in learning analytics (LA) across all levels of the University. In addition to a variety of analytics type projects we also teach LA within some of our courses. To that end I was wondering if there were specific projects within the Moodle LA working group that could be designed in such a way that they could be final year projects or could be postgraduate research projects. Just an idea that you may want to explore.

Kind regards

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Glynn

Απάντηση: Student involvement with Learning Analytics in Moodle

by Panagiotis Vlachopoulos -

Hello Mark, 

I am an MSc student at the University of Bristol. For my dissertation, I will conduct a research in Learning Analytics. My idea is divided in two parts:

1. to conduct literature review in order to explore and evaluate how Learning Analytics has been used in Higher Education institutes.

2. based on the aforementioned literature review and the identification of benefits and drawbacks of Learning Analytics’ implementation in the context of Higher Education, to design a Learning Analytics model and implement it in a Moodle site (using Moodle's plugins).

I would also like to find out if any other similar projects are being carried out by students. 

Thanks & regards, 

Panos

In reply to Mark Glynn

Re: Student involvement with Learning Analytics in Moodle

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Great idea! National University of Singapore has created an anonymized "data lake" that researchers can apply to work with: http://nus.edu.sg/alset/data-lake.html

They also have a synthetic data set generated from their data lake that can be used by anyone, including students. This kind of resource could be very helpful as a learning tool at your institutions.

I think there is room for a wide variety of student projects in learning analytics, from technical coding (e.g. implementing a new algorithm in Moodle learning analytics) to the humanities (e.g. conducting qualitative research to study the understanding, attitudes and concerns of students, faculty, and others regarding the use of learning analytics).