New TeX commands via packages?

New TeX commands via packages?

by Blair Goodlin -
Number of replies: 4

Some of my faculty members want to use commands available in packages that aren't available in the usual MathJax command set.  Is there any way to extend the command set via packages?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blair Goodlin

Re: New TeX commands via packages?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
This might be in the wrong forum actually where someone else may be able to provide a better solution than this.
The current setup uses the CDN version of MathJax, as you know but, you may not know that you can install a local version of MathJax and use that. When you have downloaded and installed a local version, you can then mod it by adding any packages you want. Obviously you will need Ghostscript or similar to convert the TeX, I don't think that comes as part of MathJax.
One issue you may run into, (you shouldn't but..) Atto uses the CDN as native, but may not play nicely with a local version, so you may have to use TinyMCE as your editor. There are any number of TinyMCE plugins that will extend the user friendliness of TinyMCE that are just not yet available for Atto, including music notation, Poodll Anywhere and lots of other stuff.
Another possible alternative is to download and install the entire texlive package to your server and add that to your Moodle. (Not difficult,, but can be tricky.) That way you can add anything you like without having to adapt or rewrite any of the MathJax custom code.
I'm sure someone else will have a better approach than this, but it might help.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Blair Goodlin

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Blair,

Mathjax does have some additional packages that can be added to added by changing the configuration. You should check mathjax.org to see if the commands you want are available there. Extension to mathjax have to be added by implementing them in javascript so the commands available in MathJax more limited than what is available in a LaTeX distribution. The TeX notation filter can be configured to use almost any standard LaTeX package.

Which TeX commands are you looking for?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Blair Goodlin -
Aha! I didn't realize MathJax could load additional packages. The ams option gives them what they need. Thanks!
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
I didn't realize either, thanks Daniel, but then I should have ask you to begin with. 😉