No sound and no picture in moodle app for iOS

No sound and no picture in moodle app for iOS

by Bernd Krause -
Number of replies: 11

Hello,

we use iSpring to create Scorm-Packages for our Moodle-Site. Everything works perfect when we use a normal html Browser (on PC, Laptop, Tablet and Smartphone).

When we try to use the moodle app on iOS (Smartphone or tablet) some parts of the scorm doesn´t work, when tere is audio or pictures.

The parts i mean are exclusively interactions of iSpring. Normal slides of Powerpoint with audio or pictures works also perfectly on moodle app in iOS.

Is there anybody out there, who can help me with this point?

Our Moodle Version: 3.9.1+

Our app Version: 3.9.2

Greetings,

Bernd

Attachment png_2020-07-20_10-11-37_1.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernd Krause

Re: No sound and no picture in moodle app for iOS

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bernd,

can you please send us the SCORM package to mobile@moodle.com so we can take a look? Please include a link to this forum discussion in the email smile

Cheers,
Dani
In reply to Bernd Krause

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bernd,

thank you sending the SCORM. The problem seems to be caused by how the SCORM build the paths to these files. For example, this is the URL to load an image in the SCORM you sent me:

data/intr5\images\img-c3d1769571f4443a942d3ec26ff45d166f309a98.png

As you can see, the path contains backslashes (\) and iOS doesn't know how to handle them. For some reason the path up to the intrX folders is ok, but all the paths after that contain backslashes. Please make the SCORM use forward slashes (/) instead.

Cheers,
Dani
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dani Palou

by Bernd Krause -
Hi Dani, 

Thanks for your answer!!!

I´ve searched in the zip-file and found the imsmanifest.xml with paths to files.

But in there i can´t find only one backslash to one of the resources…

Do you mean a different file?!? Or where can i find the paths??

Another thing that i can´t understand is: When the scorm is corrupt as you described, why the scorm files works perfectly on the app "Blackboard Classroom K12" (it´s also a moodle moble version - i think moodle mobile 3.5)

My attachement shows the "imsmanifest.xml" of my scorm-file...

Cheers, Bernd

In reply to Bernd Krause

by Dani Palou -
Hi Bernd,

the paths look ok in the manifest, I don't know why they're rendered wrong. Maybe the SCORM engine (the Javascript code) is processing them and it converts them to backslash. I'm just guessing, but for some reason some slashes are converted to backslashes.

It doesn't happen only in the app, if I open the SCORM in browser and I inspect one of the images I also see them with backslashes:

screenshot

This screenshot is in Chrome for MacOS. Standard browsers are able to handle those URLs fine (even Safari for iOS), but apparently the app isn't able to.

If the SCORM works fine in Moodle Mobile 3.5 then I guess it must be because of the new WebView. A few years ago Apple released a new WebView named WKWebView (a WebView is like a browser embedded in an app), and in Moodle Mobile 3.9 we stopped using the old one and started using WKWebView because it was mandatory to be able to publish iOS apps. Also, we use a Cordova plugin that fixes some issues when loading local files in this new WebView. So my guess is that UIWebView (the old one) was able to handle backslashes fine, but either WKWebView or the Cordova plugin doesn't. I'm sorry if I was too technical smile

If you created the SCORM using some tool maybe you can contact the developers of the tool and ask them why are those paths using backslashes and how can it be fixed.

I'll also check if there is any way to make the app support backslashes.

Cheers,
Dani
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dani Palou

by Bernd Krause -

Hi Dani,

1000000 Thanks for your quick answer (yes it´s a little bit technical but: understandable! smile )

Thanks also for the screenshot ... i will inspect that in my Mac on Chrome!!

Meanwhile i´ve updated my authoring software to the latest version but the behaviour is the same...

Maybe we have luck an with a new update of WKWebView it works ...

Many thanks,

Cheerio. Bernd

In reply to Bernd Krause

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hello Bernd,

did you finally manage to find a solution for this?

It seems to be affecting other ISpring users as well MOBILE-4104

Regards, Juan
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Bernd Krause -

Hi Juan, 

unfortunately I haven't found a solution to this day. 

What I've tried so far:

• Updating to the latest iSpring version 
  • Changing the path information in the presentations.xml file in the iSpring Scorm package subfolder (changing backslashes to slashes and then "publish") 

iSpring support has so far also result in nothing.

One solution would be if iSpring's Scorm interpreter didn't generate backslashes in paths...  I would be happy if you find a solution smile 

Greetings Bernd

In reply to Bernd Krause

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

we haven't found a solution yet and we are not working actively on it because the iSpring code is obfuscated so we cannot really understand what's going on to try to apply a patch or workaround in the app itself.

iSpring should try to fix this, I think we will not be the only ones experiencing this problem
In reply to Bernd Krause

by Mirabella Schwemmer -

Hi Bernd,

we had a client with troubles to the same issue and contacted iSpring.
They found a solution and gave our client a test version which worked perfectly.
With iSpring Suite 11.04 (to be published in the next days) the solutions shall be available for all customers.
Maybe you want to give another try with this update?

Regards,
Mirabella

In reply to Mirabella Schwemmer

by Bernd Krause -

Hi Mirabella,

many thanks for your hint and the your influence in the work of iSpring. Meanwhile i´ve tested the new version of iSpring Suite 11.04 an everything works perfectly smile

Since more or less two years i have tried to solve the problem on my own - now it works!!

1000 Thanks for your message!

Regards,

Bernd