Understanding bulk actions in Analytics

Understanding bulk actions in Analytics

Mark Sharp -
回帖数:6
Core developers的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Plugin developers的头像

For the first time we've switched on Analytics in Moodle (3.8) but I'm still grappling with understanding what things mean, especially in a way that can be explained to a teacher.

When you look at an insights report for a course you get some bulk action buttons:

So, I'm wondering what the consequences are for Accept, Not applicable and Incorrectly flagged. There's no messaging on the page to help explain this.

I suppose it might depend on the context of the course, so in one example I'm looking at, the course end date was not set, even though it ended a year ago. So what do I do?

• Accept it. Does this just acknowledge I've seen it, but has no other consequence?
  • Not applicable. How's this different from Accept? Does it affect the prediction model? And how?
  • Incorrectly flagged. Well, maybe, but actually the wrong end date was on the course. Do I correct the end date and mark Incorrectly flagged. Or do I change the end date and do something else. Accept, perhaps?
The only documentation I can find on these actions is https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Learning_analytics_quick_guide#Actions but there's not help in understanding the different contexts where you might want to take a particular action.

I suppose also, there's a concern about "doing the wrong thing": "What happens if I press a button? Can it be fixed if I do the wrong thing?". I don't want teachers getting bogged down worrying about these things. So would really appreciate some clear messaging around these actions.

thanks
Mark
回复Mark Sharp

Re: Understanding bulk actions in Analytics

C S -
Hello!

I had recently installed the plugin Google Analytics but I can't find it my Moodle.
How can I get the analytics information? (I have an external hosting, I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I can't have access to the analytics data...)

Thanks in advance for your help.
回复C S

Dan Marsden -
Core developers的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Peer reviewers的头像 Plugin developers的头像 Plugins guardians的头像 Testers的头像 Translators的头像
C S - probbaly best that you ask this in a new thread - Mark isn't asking about "Google Analytics" but a completely different tool.
回复Dan Marsden

C S -
OK Dan, I created a new thread (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=407004).
Uunfortunately I never receive a feedback to my threads… so this time I tried to “catch” a thread from another person to see if I have more lucky.
I hope that this time I receive some help.
Best regards
回复Mark Sharp

Dan Marsden -
Core developers的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Peer reviewers的头像 Plugin developers的头像 Plugins guardians的头像 Testers的头像 Translators的头像
IMO - this is "incomplete" functionality. As far as I know, there is no "consequence" other than an attempt at providing a workflow for teachers and the ability for an admin to report on the "actions" that a teacher takes - as mentioned on that page "This data can be incorporated into the model in the future to help improve model quality." I think the intent was to allow this to feed back into the model, however this has not yet been implemented.

Not sure if you managed to catch my Moodlemoot Presentation - but we're doing a lot in this space with the tensorflow back-end, let me know if there's anything we can do to help!
回复Dan Marsden

Mark Sharp -
Core developers的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Plugin developers的头像
Hi Dan, no I missed GlobalMoot - it coincided with our Moodle upgrade.

OK. That perhaps explains why I couldn't see anything much happening in the code with the data.

I think example cases where each option would be applicable would be useful, even if they've not been implemented yet. Wouldn't this have a bearing on the implementation itself? These buttons are requiring uninformed decisions.

Is there somewhere where this is being discussed?