Understanding bulk actions in Analytics

Understanding bulk actions in Analytics

by Mark Sharp -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

For the first time we've switched on Analytics in Moodle (3.8) but I'm still grappling with understanding what things mean, especially in a way that can be explained to a teacher.

When you look at an insights report for a course you get some bulk action buttons:

So, I'm wondering what the consequences are for Accept, Not applicable and Incorrectly flagged. There's no messaging on the page to help explain this.

I suppose it might depend on the context of the course, so in one example I'm looking at, the course end date was not set, even though it ended a year ago. So what do I do?

• Accept it. Does this just acknowledge I've seen it, but has no other consequence?
  • Not applicable. How's this different from Accept? Does it affect the prediction model? And how?
  • Incorrectly flagged. Well, maybe, but actually the wrong end date was on the course. Do I correct the end date and mark Incorrectly flagged. Or do I change the end date and do something else. Accept, perhaps?
The only documentation I can find on these actions is https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Learning_analytics_quick_guide#Actions but there's not help in understanding the different contexts where you might want to take a particular action.

I suppose also, there's a concern about "doing the wrong thing": "What happens if I press a button? Can it be fixed if I do the wrong thing?". I don't want teachers getting bogged down worrying about these things. So would really appreciate some clear messaging around these actions.

thanks
Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Sharp

Re: Understanding bulk actions in Analytics

by C S -
Hello!

I had recently installed the plugin Google Analytics but I can't find it my Moodle.
How can I get the analytics information? (I have an external hosting, I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I can't have access to the analytics data...)

Thanks in advance for your help.
In reply to C S

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
C S - probbaly best that you ask this in a new thread - Mark isn't asking about "Google Analytics" but a completely different tool.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by C S -
OK Dan, I created a new thread (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=407004).
Uunfortunately I never receive a feedback to my threads… so this time I tried to “catch” a thread from another person to see if I have more lucky.
I hope that this time I receive some help.
Best regards
In reply to Mark Sharp

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
IMO - this is "incomplete" functionality. As far as I know, there is no "consequence" other than an attempt at providing a workflow for teachers and the ability for an admin to report on the "actions" that a teacher takes - as mentioned on that page "This data can be incorporated into the model in the future to help improve model quality." I think the intent was to allow this to feed back into the model, however this has not yet been implemented.

Not sure if you managed to catch my Moodlemoot Presentation - but we're doing a lot in this space with the tensorflow back-end, let me know if there's anything we can do to help!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dan, no I missed GlobalMoot - it coincided with our Moodle upgrade.

OK. That perhaps explains why I couldn't see anything much happening in the code with the data.

I think example cases where each option would be applicable would be useful, even if they've not been implemented yet. Wouldn't this have a bearing on the implementation itself? These buttons are requiring uninformed decisions.

Is there somewhere where this is being discussed?