Adding Content Types in new integration

Adding Content Types in new integration

by Ben Kahn -
Number of replies: 4

Hello Moodlers, I am checking out a test site with 3.9 and H5P. I am wondering how to best control which content types are available on the site. Here are the options as I understand them:

• Enable the cron job to download all types from the h5p.org hub.
  • Upload individual .h5p/.zip for each content type you want

With option 1 you can download all of the available content types, then delete any that you don't want to support (maybe for accessibility, duplication of functionality of other tools you use, or media storage reasons). The problem with option 1, as I see it, is that any time the cron job runs to fetch updates it will also re-install those unwanted types).

Option 2 is attractive, but I'm not clear on where to get the installer files for the content types I want to enable. According to the h5p site, the way to add content types is via the hub that is included in the WordPress/Drupal/Moodle plugins. I feel like I'm missing a piece here?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ben Kahn

Re: Adding Content Types in new integration

by Sarah Ricketts -

I'm trying to set the same up for our M3.8 test instance that doesn't have cron running, but as admin I can't see where to download the H5P content types from to add into "/h5p/libraries.php"?

In reply to Sarah Ricketts

by Ramon Ovelar -

Hello,

I will add my interest to the one expressed in previous questions in this conversation, even if I think my perspective is a bit different,  because we are still running 3.5, which was official LTS up to Monday. We are planning to integrate H5P as a plugin in our campus, but we would prefer to offer a selected set of content types to our users. We think that this would be less confusing for them. Is there any way to do such a thing, instead of giving to any user with teacher role in any course the ability to install new content types? We are not about not  giving permissions, just trying to set an intuitive environment.

Many thanks in advance for any tip, link or experience on deploying H5P in a big Moodle installation.

cheers,

In reply to Ramon Ovelar

by Ben Kahn -
Ramon, my understanding with 3.5 is that you can do some management of the content types when using the plugin but it takes some set-up. It is best if you limit who can add a content type in the first place because once they are added it is not straightforward to remove an unwanted one - here is some info from a Slack discussion I was having:
"Content types are activated and upgraded in the activity editor within a course. There is not an option to remove a content type once activated. With capabilities you can limit content type management and just have you admins do it. You can do some library management at the admin settings level, including "restricting" libraries. We have used this feature to take away a content type that was accidentally or dependency activated, e.g. appear.in for Chat and Talk."
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ben Kahn

by Ramon Ovelar -

Many thanks, Ben, your tip will be very useful. We still need to get around the whole issue, but I'm sure we will manage to make a good and clear config for users. This will be a very useful resource.