Students having difficulty using Big Blue Button

Students having difficulty using Big Blue Button

by Barb Schumann -
Number of replies: 1

Hi, 

My name is Barbara and all our school is using Moddle and Big Blue Button at the moment.

It's a bit because of me because I am a huge Moodle fan and use it everyday !

However, we are having some trouble with the BBB. Many of our students are having trouble getting their microphone and webcam to work...  Many teachers and students are getting frustrated and we are trying to troubleshoot as best we can... Here is what we have figured out so far:

1. Students need to be on Google Chrome and have latest version if possible.

2. Students need to have headphones with a little microphone integrated if using their phone.

3. Mac devices, some work others don't... we don't know why. 

We'd love to have the Big Blue Button work easily for all our students but it is hard because they are at home and we are too so it's difficult to see what they are using or what they are doing wrong, etc...

Maybe you could give us a list of things to check with a student having these audio-video problems.

Our school is now looking to install the Teams plug in and / or the Zoom plug-in?  They need something that works well for students. Would that be better? 

Thanks for your help

Our school board has the 3.5 Moodle version I believe.

https://moodle.csda.ca/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barb Schumann

Re: Students having difficulty using Big Blue Button

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Q1. This is the standard recommendation we give: "For Big Blue Button, especially for the moderator to use presentations etc. it is recommended to use the latest versions of either Chrome or Firefox. Safari will not work, also older versions of Edge will not work." (from https://community.onschool.ch/t/big-blue-button-browser-requirements/73)

Nobody has contradicted this so far.

Q2. Do you mean, that the participant uses a smart-phone as the client device, not a laptop nor a desktop? And what is the problem you've observed when they do?

Q3. You can't just throw "Mac devices" in to one item. There are many different hardware (iPhone, MacBook, PowerBook, ..), different operating systems (Mac OS, iOS) and different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari,..). You have to be more specific and describe the problems separately.

I see that you are not the administrator of your school's Moodle nor BBB server. Did you talk to them?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)