Importing glossary in XML format

Importing glossary in XML format

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 3
A colleague of mine has asked me whether there is a way to import a multilingual glossary in XML format into the Moodle glossary. Does anybody know whether this is possible and how one would go about doing that?

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Importing glossary in XML format

by Josep M. Fontana -
Sorry, I realize the format of the Moodle glossaries is XML. I guess I should reformulate my question. What my colleagues are asking me is whether it would be possible to create a multi-lingual glossary (with as many as 8 different languages) in Moodle from a bunch of XML files like the one I'm attaching here. This is the Finish file and there would be others like this one for the rest of the languages.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by James Phillips -
Josep,

Do you mean that each term/definition will be for one particular language and they will then all be entered in the same glossary, or do you mean that, for example, if you look up "fish" in English, you will be given a definition in eight different languages?

A good starting point would be to make a glossary, put in one entry, then export it so that you can see exactly how the XML files are structured in the glossary. It will also help if the whole site is encoded in UTF8 as that will make it easier to handle various alphabets. It may also be possible that the database module may be more suited to this particular application.

Cheers,

James
In reply to James Phillips

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi James.

Well, if you could have one language, say English, and then the translations in the rest of the languages, that would be good. But if we can just get pairs of languages, that would be enough. Since we have the glossaries already in XML format, we were looking for an easy way to reuse them inside moodle courses without having to enter all the information by hand again.

Josep M.