Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Andrea angeloni -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, I'm Andrea. 

I'm searching viable solutions for loading SCORM projects in Moodle, under the requirement of a good responsive support on mobile devices. 

I read SCORM FAQs and I've found some potential problems and headaches.  

I'm totally free on choosing the SCORM authoring platform. Is there any product of these that can bypass responsive problems in a satisfatory manner, with little or no effort? 

What about Captivate? 

Thanks, Andrea

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrea angeloni

Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
What's the reason for choosing "SCORM" - it's an old outdated technology that was never really designed for using on mobile devices (let alone wifi!)

You could just create your content directly in the LMS using standard tools, but if you're wanting an external authoring tool that doesn't tie you to a specific LMS, then you should be looking at h5p.org (which is also supported in Moodle.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Andrea angeloni -
Thanks, Dan.
We are considering SCORM because we have used it some years ago and we have some experience about.
If today SCORM is not the best choice on implementing mobile-aware e-learning solutions, we can evaluate more modern alternatives.

Re: Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

To answer your question about tools...it really depends on what you are building.

Captivate is considered a good choice if you do software tutorials. And it can do really nice software 'assessments' where the user has to perform the action to complete.  But I cannot say whether the software tutorials are especially responsive, I have my doubts about accessibility of software tutorials and building responsive anything in Captivate is kind of a pain in the behind. It is what I use (we are currently at war). Mostly we do software stuff. If you have a bunch of powerpoints you want to convert, Captivate is bad at this. It turns your slides into images. 

Lectora is an excellent tool if you don't want software assessments. They have a new-ish screen recorder that I know nothing about. If you have some mad skills you might be able to manually create assessments. They include responsive design stuff and if you are converting powerpoints to something interactive, the import is easy and good. Love Lectora. Is very expensive.

Storyline/Articulate has a pretty good rep. I haven't used it but they have a great community. I use their community for ideas, even if I don't use their product. Rumor has it they are/can be responsive.  Some of their stuff actually works with powerpoint, looks cool. I think they are less expensive than Lectora, more expensive than Captivate (though Captivate is getting pricier). Everything I've heard is they are really easy to use. 

I've used other SCORM stuff, like iSpring(freeware) and eXe (now eXeLearning?--this was a long time ago, used to be in core...ish) and Camtasia. For SCORM, not especially impressed, but Camtasia has improved. Still not awesome, has some weird things, but functions. I'd only use Camtasia if you plan to do a lot of video based stuff and need reporting. If you don't need reporting, H5P does some really cool stuff with video and can interact with YouTube. If you use interactive video with YouTube, you lose the YouTube captioning, if that matters to you.

Addressing what Dan was talking about...yeah, SCORM is old. They've been saying SCORM was dying for as long as I've been using it...unlike flash, it seems to still be running around and functional. There are some upsides to SCORM, but also downsides. If you are not interested in documenting results, H5P is terrific. It has so many cool features. But reporting is not good. SCORM reporting is decent, unless your user has an unstable internet connection OR times out, then it gets frustrating. H5P can't really do software assessment; other than just video demo, it wouldn't be great for tutorials. I think about trying to do something like that for a minute or two, my brain starts bleeding, I stop. But it does have some super cool branching options and, other than poor reporting and no software assessment, definitely worth it, if you don't need reporting. Reporting is why I use SCORM. 

Figure out what you really want/need. Choose your tool based on that. I'm keeping my eye on H5P because I really want to love it. They're talking about making the score interface better with Moodle...when that happens, I'll re-evaluate. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Melanie Scott

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Andrea angeloni -

Thanks Melanie, very useful guidelines. 

We don't have use cases using special features (like software tutorials needs), for now.  Text, images, some multiple choice test. And some navigation logic, maybe. 

We could implement them using standard editing moodle functions, but we potentially have a great number of "pages" to build and maintain. So, we are considering an external authoring tool for faster and easier editing.

Reporting could be an issue, but is not a fundamental feature.  "Poor" reporting  could not be a problem, "totally absent", could. 

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
If you haven't started using a SCORM tool yet, the learning curve can be steep.
If you have a multiple choice test, I would build that directly in Moodle vs. the SCORM content using the delivered, core Moodle reporting. Less headaches around.
So, if I was going to use the Moodle quiz activity, I would just build the content in native Moodle activities. External authoring tool is not necessarily faster and easier to edit.
Read down through this Forum's threads to get a full picture of other problems with SCORM.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Andrea angeloni -

Thanks. We will consider using pure Moodle solutions, too. 

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Melanie Scott -

I agree with Shirley. I would always prefer a Moodle quiz to anything built in SCORM. So much flexibility, excellent reporting. If the only reason to use SCORM is to get something pretty...go for H5P and use quiz for testing. As I mentioned, we use it for a lot of software tutorial stuff...but we're trying to find ways to get away from it...which is why I am aware of the ups and downs of H5P.  H5P lets you set backgrounds, switch between, add all sorts of stuff. Super functional. 

Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hello Andrea,
ADAPT is a truly responsive authoring tool, based totally on HTML5. But regarding effort, I guess at the beginning it is not easy. There is the authoring tool you can install in your server, but the learning curve is steep. There are a bunch of ADAPT developers that can help, though.
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Andrea angeloni -

Thanks Beatriz

Re: Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

ADAPT is a great tool, but I also want to note it's not going to help in dealing with some of the issues you may run into with SCORM, particularly in terms of mobile device intermittent connectivity. SCORM assumes an uninterrupted internet connection, so unless you are using the Moodle app to have offline data handling, you'll run into issues with intermittent wireless connectivity.

Take a look at https://h5p.org/presentation if your requirements for the learning modules aren't complex in terms of variables and other things.

In reply to Mathew Gancarz

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Best solution for responsive SCORMs in Moodle

by Andrea angeloni -
Hi, thanks to this point. It seems another important aspect.