Sections visible or not to students

by Vaggelis Chalkidis -
Number of replies: 6

Hi. I am new to moodle and i am creating an e-learning lesson for my master. I have created a table as navigation menu, and it has 3 boxes (buttons), each of them goes to a different section. In my home page there is the navigation menu and under the menu are the 3 sections. How can i "delete" (to make them not visible) my sections from my homepage (i want to have only me menu as the guide of my lesson) but the sections to exist. Is the "hide topic" the right setting? Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vaggelis Chalkidis

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Are you using topics format? Instead of hiding, You would want to set up your course to display "one section visible at a time" in the course Edit Settings
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Sections visible or not to students

by Vaggelis Chalkidis -
Yes Im using topics format. If i do my course layout to show one section per time. My sections are still there. Nothing change only that i could open in a different tab.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Moodle is designed so that the teacher does not have to know web design nor programming. So the short answer is, let Moodle will generate the table of contents. How prominent it is displayed depends on the theme you use. So choose one from https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=type:theme that you like.

At an advanced stage there are plug-ins which add such features to Moodle. At an even more advanced stage you can create your own theme. Just doing too much HTML and web design in one course is a waste of time. Will you repeat them in your next course?

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Vaggelis Chalkidis -
I use my university's moodle environment, so all courses of my Uni uses one theme (Adaptable). I attach one photo where you can see what the user see when insert to my course. The content is in Greek so maybe you will not understand. You will see a table with buttons. Each button goes to the section where are under the table, but they are open in a different tab (as you can see in my second photo, this is not my problem). I would like to know if the topics where are shown in my homepage of course can be "invisible" and only my table to be shown. Maybe I cannot do anything because of the theme. Thank you
Attachment homepage.png
Attachment section.png

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi

I have access to a site running Moodle and Adaptable latest. There the courses look completely different. So either your Uni has done a lot of customizations on Adaptable and/or they have added plug-ins, I mean the "tabs" for course sections. As you say, if your problem is that those tabs open new browser pages, you should look in to how they are done.

I am not a good web designer. Hope there are others, if no response ask the moderator to move the discussion to the Themes forum, for example.