MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration

MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration

by Jose Carlos Tang -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

I got 2 MacBookx with OS Catalina and have downloaded and installed Moodle4Mac-38, the last stable version.

Nevertheless, after following the instructions i launch MAMP and unfortunately i receive a message confirming it cannot connect to Apache as port 8888 is already in use. For this i checked the port and it´s free, no other software uses it.

Then i changed to port 8080 in the MAMP preferences and also in the config.php (tried all the possible combinations) and the error message changes to "Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration".

I have checked in this forum and saw a similiar case in 2015 by replacing the file "envvars_" by "_envvars" but no success.

After a few attempts I uninstalled it and after reading the documentation it forwarded me to MAMP website, i downloaded MAMP straight away and installed it. After launching it, it connected to Apache server. Obviously with this installation pack i don´t have access to the Moodle files and cannot launch it in the localhost:8888/Moodle39.

Again, i dowloaded the last version of Moodle4Mac, now i tried the last release after the last stable) and installed it. It doesn´t work as well, same messages than above with the same ports.

Did any of you experienced a similar issue lately? Any suggest for solution?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

José Carlos

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Carlos Tang

Re: MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration

by Alonso Quijano -
Same problem here. Hope someone replies.

Re: MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I gave a presentation at a Moodlemoot a few years back. I don't use the Moodle4Mac package, I install MAMP from scratch and then Moodle.

Maybe my video and resources will help you.  Installing Moodle from scratch will also help you learn and appreciate how relatively simple it is to manage a Moodle.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Alonso Quijano -

Thank you Rick, it worked now. I still had problems with  mySQL but found something in stackoverflow and fixed it. Now how do I link the moodle I just installed on my mac to the MoodleCloud so that my students can see the courses? 

I would be happy if you could help with this as well. Thank you so much. 

In reply to Alonso Quijano

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Good to hear about your success, Alonso.

Well, you don't link your MAMP-based Moodle to your MoodleCloud. Can't do. Your MAMP-based Moodle is only on your computer, not on the Internet.

One of the major things that people do with their MAMP-based Moodle is to experiment and learn how to use Moodle. Your MAMP-based Moodle provides more features than MoodleCloud, for example, the ability to install and learn plugins, but you can't load plugins into MoodleCloud. However, there are things that you can do in your MAMP, such as setting up a course, or creating question bank questions, that you can move to your MoodleCloud, as long as you keep both systems closely matched. Also, it is possible to move courses from MoodleCloud to MAMP.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Seeing as you have already downloaded MAMP, just download the regular moodle package, unzip it, point mamp to use it as the root folder and start it up. It should take you straight to the install page.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Alonso Quijano -

Thank you, I did as Rick said and it worked. Cheers