Rename "Dashboard" and "Site home" in Boost's Navigation Drawer

Rename "Dashboard" and "Site home" in Boost's Navigation Drawer

by Nils Benning -
Number of replies: 5

Hey everyone,

this is my first post in the Moodle community forums, please bear with me if I did not select the 100% fitting forum. I tried hard to find it!

I'm considering to change our default theme from Classic to Boost (finally). While testing I realized that I would take this as a chance to rename "Site home" and "Dashboard" in the new navigation drawer.

Why would I do that? Because "Dashboard" should be called "Dashboard" in German localization (it is translated to "My site home" 😑) and "Site home" should be called "All courses", because that's what we use the site home for.

I read through the documentation and the forums and it seems like the nav drawer is pretty much hard coded. Is that right? I stumbled across this plugin, but I consider this as a very basic change and would be happy to do it without an plugin.

We are running Moodle 3.7.2 (Build: 20190909).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best, Nils

Attachment nav-drawer.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nils Benning

Re: Rename "Dashboard" and "Site home" in Boost's Navigation Drawer

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Both of those can be customised in your language pack.

The string for “Dashboard” is myhome.

The “Site Home” is slightly more complicated - if you’ve set the default home page to be “Dashboard” or “User Preference”, the menu item is “Site Home” (and the language string is sitehome). If you’ve set the default home page to be Site, the menu item is “Home” (and the language string is home).

See https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Language_customisation for help with customising your language pack/s.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Celynn K -

Thank you Jon

I was able to rename Dashboard and Site Home in the nav drawer.

Issue I have now is that the dropdown user menu says "dashboard". Where would I change this?

Another question (which I have asked in another thread already-still not solved) is how to remove Dashboard (and profile) from the dropdown user menu. I was able to remove all other unwanted items in Appearance/themes/theme settings/user menu items. Also see where I can add custom ones. But stuck on these two.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Celynn

In reply to Celynn K

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Which theme are you using? And which version of Moodle?

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Celynn K -
My apologies for not including that here
Moodle 3.8
Fordson - Modern Moodle
In reply to Celynn K

by Celynn K -
Hello again Jon,

I was able to solve the user menu issue by adding some custom css code within the Moodle admin area. Thankfully found where someone had posted sample code for this previously.

Spent hours trying to figure out where the code for the user menu is located (moodle 3.8/fordson theme) and eventually gave up. Tried using browser tools and could make the changes to the code but couldn't find the exact file path. Is there a trick to this?
On a steep learning curve but determined to figure this out.
Celynn