Colour an image within an activity

Colour an image within an activity

by DaVinci Menno -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I hope you could spare a moment of your time to help me out with the following:

I am looking for a way to make it possible for students to draw in an uploaded file. Here's an example to explain what I mean:

Let's say, I have the world map, and I would like my students to give Europe the color ''Blue'', The US the color ''Red'',
Latin-America the color ''Green'', and so on; How could i make this possible?

I have tried using Sketch, but this does not allow me to see an image or the like... 

Any thoughts on this? 

Thanks a lot in advance for thinking along!

Kind regards,

Menno

Average of ratings: -
In reply to DaVinci Menno

Re: Colour an image within an activity

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi DaVinci,

Coloring a picture can be done with Poodll Assignment Submission. There may be other plugins to, but I have no experience with them. You set it up as an Assignment with submission type of, Online Poodll, with Poodll Rec. Type of, Whiteboard, and a Poodll Whiteboard Background of the picture you want the student to color in. You also need to set the Poodll Whiteboard size to fit the background picture size.

When each student clicks, Edit submission, they see the whiteboard drawing editor with your picture already there for them to color in. The picture remains even if they need to erase part of their coloring.

I know this works with png backgrounds, but will probably work with others, too. This works pretty good with just a mouse, but, much better with some kind of tablet and pen.

The only downside to all this is that Poodll Assignment Submission also REQUIRES Poodll filter and Poodll filter DOES cost money. When I was actively still teaching, I just paid for an annual subscription out of my own pocket. However, you can do a 30 day free trial to see if it does do what you want, before committing to any payment. Just don't be shortsighted enough to think the money is not worth it for your students to color one or two pictures. The whole set of Poodll plugins that you get to use with the filter is simply staggering when you figure out and see what all you can do with it, especially when it comes to audio and video capabilities for teaching a foreign language, such as English. Along with the whole set of plugins, there are literally DOZENS of widgets available for use to enhance your site, lessons, quizzes, assignments, etc. A simple for instance, you can add a user or username filter that will personalize your site so each student is greeted by name when they log in.

The Poodll developer, Justin Hunt, is active here in the forums, and is always quick to help, if you have any questions. What always impressed me the most, is that he is also quick to respond to feature requests, if at all possible. I can remember once making an idle remark, "It would be nice if......," (can't remember exactly what I wished for) but four hours later there was a new version out with the new capability.

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=13

https://poodll.com/plugin-poodll-filter/

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by DaVinci Menno -
Hi Al,

Thank you for your advice!
I will definitely consider Poodll. If it delivers what you are saying here, it is very promising.
Thanks for taking the time to advise me.

Kind regards,

Menno
In reply to DaVinci Menno

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you don't want to install all those Poodll plugins for a thirty day trial, I can give you access to a course as teacher and you can play with them there. Just send me an email for details if you want to. drachels at drachels dot com
Average of ratings: Useful (1)