Embedding h5p in Moodle

Embedding h5p in Moodle

by Boris Malysh -
Number of replies: 10

Hello everybody!
I know the theme doesn't look new, but I haven't found my request raised before.
So the task I have is using H5P as a part of a description of a question or as an element of a course page... Let's say embedded in a lable... And all of it sin't a problem. But when I hide the actual H5P activity from the students. It's not shown anymore where I embedded it.... I can see it, but the students can't. So, it's either I keep it hanging on the course page (distracting the students) or it's not shown where I embed it.
Is there a way to embed H5P activity with the actual activity hidden?

P.S. BIG THANX TO THE TEAM FOR ONE OF THE BEST PLUGINS I'VE SEEN!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Boris Malysh

Re: Embedding h5p in Moodle

by Stefan Roder -

Hi Boris,

did you mark the H5P activity as "Make available but not shown on course page" in the activity's settings?

I use this feature in conjunction with embedding into lessons and it works like a charm.

You need to allow stealth activities from the site administration.

Best regards,

Stefan

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stefan Roder

by Boris Malysh -
Hello, Stefan!
Thanks a lot for your hint. But there's no such option in my build... For some reason. 

Common module settings

Even though "allow stealth activities" option is enabled:

Allow stealth activities

I guess there must be some other setting blocking that...
Do you know how I can fix that?
In reply to Boris Malysh

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Boris - that functionality starting with Moodle 3.3. The Moodle System admin need to enable Stealth activities for teachers to be able to hide but make available to students when hidden.  

In reply to Boris Malysh

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You need to hide it, and then “make available” will become one of the options.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Boris Malysh -

Gentlemen, thanks a lot for trying to help me out!

So, the current version of the LMS installed is:
Current LMS version

Stealth functionality is on:
Stealth functionality on

The "Common module settings" section of the h5p activity meant to be embedded looks like this:

Common settings section
No "Hide but make available" option in the list.

Moodle documentation on the topic (https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Stealth_activities) shows that there should be "Make available" option in the context menu of the activity on the course page after I hide it. 
Documentation menu screenshot

Jon, I guess that's what you meant in your comment.

But, nevertheless, that's what I have at my website's course page:
Activity context menu

As a result, I can see the content - no problem at all. But this is how students see it:
Screenshot_2020-05-01-13-32-45-764

The embedded activity is marked with the red frame. It is embedded but not shown because the activity is hidden from students... 
When I show it to the students (screenshot below)
Show the activity

they can see both the iframe with the embedded activity (blue frame) and the activity itself (red frame). 
Screenshot_2020-05-01-13-41-25-870_com.android.chrome

I've purged the website's cash. But it doesn't help. I'm thinking of upgrading the website to Moodle 3.8. Maybe it can help.
If anybody can give me a hint on what can be done apart from turning on "stealth activities" and making activities "hidden but available", please let me know.

In reply to Boris Malysh

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Boris,

Do you see the options make available with Moodle standard modules like Forum or Assignment ? 

If Forum or Assignment do show this options: Please check the version of H5P plugin  you are using and if this is the latest version? IF not I suggest to update the H5P plugin first before updating the enviorment to see if this is fixed (https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=21001

Gemma
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Gemma - that's an excellent suggestion to verify stealth functionality on the site. Besided updating H5P to the latest version, is there a chance that it could be related to the theme being used?
In reply to Dave Sherwin

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am not a programmer, and not really sure anymore when this was implemented what I exactly had to check and make changes on (sorry).

But yes, do check if this is also happening with Moodle standard theme like Boost.

And there is a vague memory of a custom made courseformat that I needed to alter for this version of Moodle, but not entirely sure if it was related to this new functionality or something else that had been changed. So just to be sure also check if this is happening in the one of the Moodle standard courseformat like Topic format.

Because it does make sense that this functionality need to be supported in an actiivty & section level (and sections are controlled ór can be overwritten in courseformats)
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by Boris Malysh -
Gemma, thank you a whole lot!

The current course format is Collapsed Topics, which is great for organizing the space on the screen. 
It turns out that it somehow locks stealth functionality. I've changed it and voila, stealth functionality is back:

Stealth functionality is back

So, I think I'll have to change the course format... I'm looking for alternatives now.

Anyway, big thanks to everybody for attention and hints!
I guess, the issue may be considered solved. 
In reply to Boris Malysh

by Gemma Lesterhuis -

Hi Boris,
I am a bit suprised to be honest, because this is one of those community format plugins I would had not expected to miss this setting. 

Are you sure you are running the latest version of the plugin? Since I just tested the plugin in combination with 3.6.4 and it did work. (Theme Boost). 

Gemma