Unable to embed Vimeo iframe code on Moodle.org

Unable to embed Vimeo iframe code on Moodle.org

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I wanted to “embed” this video, which is in Vimeo, using "embed code" in a moodle.org post, but moodle.org forums do not seem to support this.  While creating my post in HTML mode, I insert the embed code and it shows correctly (while editing), but when I finally post my message, this embed code is automatically removed.

This embed code comes directly from Vimeo, my video server platform.  It works fine in my own Moodle, so I assume that either moodle.org forgot to turn the Vimeo player on, there could be some moodle.org security issues that prevent iframe embed code, or something else is going on.

Any ideas?

Here is the code that I was trying to embed. 

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/403778283" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Unable to embed Vimeo iframe code on Moodle.org

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Mary or Helen would need to confirm but I'd be *very* surprised if that worked in the moodle.org forums.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
There is no good reason (that I know of) to support YouTube and not Vimeo. But .... out of the box Moodle multimedia plugins filter processes just Youtube and not Vimeo links.
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As Justin mentions, the Vimeo media player is disabled by default. However have just enabled it on moodle.org, so you should now be able to embed Vimeo, Rick.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, here is what I do.

I begin by typing this message.  I am in ATTO.  The I go to HTML view (click on </> tool).  Then, on the next line, I insert this iframe code:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/403778283" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I then switch out of HTML view, and everything is looking good.  Then I "Post," and Moodle strips out the iframe code.

But let me try something else.  I am going to put the Vimeo URL into this post and see if it gets interpreted and shows.

No, it does not get interpreted.

Then, I use the insert video tool method, and at first, I got a MIME error.  But then the play button shows.  However, clicking on the play button doesn't work.

I am attaching a screenshot that shows the iframe code appearing correctly while in the editor, but again, when I "Save changes" the iframe code gets stripped out.

You can give this a try yourself using both my iframe code or the URL that I have provided above.  Again, on my Moodle, if I put in the iframe code, everything works well.

I am open to suggestions.

The more that I experiment, the more I am wondering if this has something to do with inserting iframes?

Attachment How iframe code shows in editor.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, I think that I figured it all out.

I thought that I had inserted this video with "embed code" from video, but after a bunch of experimenting, what I think works is to use the "insert video" tool, and to enter what Vimeo calls the "copy video link" URL.  This then works.

Wow, a lot of effort.  But what I end up with is the form of a video that allows "chapters" to display.  There are also speed and quality controls, along with captions.  The only thing that this form of the video doesn't directly support is the ability to download this video.

In the "for what it is worth" category, I am showing a screenshot of Vimeo links that work in the Moodle video player.

Perhaps all this let to (my own) a better understanding of how to insert video, and having Helen help by turning on Vimeo support.  Thanks, everyone!  😀
Attachment Moodle compatible Vimeo links.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Unable to embed Vimeo iframe code on Moodle.org [Solved]

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Rick for sharing what you've learned. If you have time, maybe you could add the information to the documentation Video?

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Unable to embed Vimeo iframe code on Moodle.org [Solved]

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, I would love to (soon.) This whole experience made me think about the various ways to add Vimeo videos to Moodle. There are around a dozen ways.

I am far from a Vimeo Expert, but I keep learning as I continue to use Vimeo this year.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)