Issue after Upgrading from 3.7 to 3.8.1 - Tables already exist

Re: Issue after Upgrading from 3.7 to 3.8.1 - Tables already exist

by Gary Joyce -
Number of replies: 0
Hi Daniel

I've rebuilt from scratch and exported everything over so all is fine now, with cron working nicely both on schedule and on demand etc.
I re-installed the two plugins that I had tried out before and both have installed just fine on the new instance, no problem. So I would not say they were involved.
My guess is that at some point pre-upgrade, I was running scripts to update the collation to utf8mb4 (probably without really needing to but I always try to go with the advised option). Then I started to have the trouble with the "quiz" and "statistics" components during the upgrade. That led me down the slippery slope of working with the DB tables to see what was wrong and what was breaking the upgrade cycle. This probably introduced other issues such as the massive build up of cache temporary files and a 6Gb mdl_tasks table in the DB. I saw the hole getting deeper so I decided to pull the plug and "stop digging" ..
So the fault is likely mine, but it has allowed me to learn how to migrate from instance to instance, how/when to upgrade, and how great the support is from the community.
Thanks again.