building custom dashboard

building custom dashboard

by Son Nguyen -
Number of replies: 5

As the title said: is there any ways to build a custom dashboard (for example using my own HTML code) ? 

I am trying to build a custom dashboard after logging screen for students participating in my course (a more simpler choice that guide them to courses depend on their choices). Is there a way to do that ?

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Son Nguyen

Re: building custom dashboard

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

"Simpler" is in the eye of the beholder. Already "depending on their choices" makes it sound like a complicated proposition!

The dashboard is made up of a number of blocks "course overview", "Recently accessed courses, "Starred courses" etc, so you can pick and choose those in any combination to make your dashboard.

There are others that are available for download from Moodle.org:

So you can do your own dashboard if you want, or look at what others have done for inspiration.

good luck

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Sharp

by Son Nguyen -
Sorry for not explaining it clearly
What I want do to with Dashboard is there will be choices for students to take them to their courses immediately, for example:

Which courses you want to study ?
course 1 --> student clicks, take them to course 1
course 2 --> student clicks, take them to course 2
I think this can be done with some Javascript and I figured how to add new block with HTML. However, my Javascript code did not run on the block. Does Moodle support Javascript or are there any extra plugins I need for Javascript ?

Thank you for answering.
In reply to Son Nguyen

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Perhaps you just need the "Course list" block - do the students need to be enrolled on the courses? There's a "Basic course search" block and a number of other blocks you could use on the dashboard page. https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=search%20courses%20type:block

Have a look, hopefully you'll find something that suits your needs.

If you're a programmer, you can make your own plugin, Moodle is designed that way.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Son Nguyen

by Richard Jones -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle already has that functionality so your aim is unclear.  When a student logs on they are directed either to the home page or to their Dashboard (depending on what the admin has set).

Either of those pages gives them a clickable link to any course they are enrolled in.

If you really need a custom block why use JavaScript when a simple html link will do the trick?  A custom html block with a URL in it will, under normal circumstances become a clickable link.

If you really want to do JavaScript in Moodle you will need to read the documentation provided for AMD modules. https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Javascript_Modules.

Perhaps if you take a little more time to define your objective clearly and to show that you have read some existing documentation, developers here will be willing to help. 

At the moment it appears that you have not done a great deal of basic research.

Trying not to be mean smile