Benchmark - SCORM course completion issue among different LMS systems

Benchmark - SCORM course completion issue among different LMS systems

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 1

Dear all, long time no see!

Sorry to bug everyone a quick question. If you do a Google search with keyword such as "SCORM course completion issue LMS" you will find a lot of results (310,000 results to be exact). So the SCORM course completion issue is not new among LMS community.

Also see this article: https://www.learnupon.com/blog/to-scorm-or-not-to-scorm-that-is-the-question/

I wonder what's the typical percentage (among all kinds of LMS systems) of users running into issues about SCORM course completion (LMS was not able to record SCORM "course completion" status correctly, due to session time-out or other reasons)?

One of the previous company that I worked for completely dumped SCORM, and just use a Google Slides + Quiz (using LMS built-in quiz engine), and that dramatically resolved this LMS "course completion" issue. However, this does not seem to be possible with my current company, so I'm looking for a walk-around or middle-ground (still keep really good "user experience," but avoid using SCORM). 

My questions:

1. Is xAPI the way to go? Other than xAPI, what other options do we have?

2. Among different SCORM player implementations among different LMS systems, is it true that some LMS systems might have better performance or stats, when it comes to avoid SCORM "course completion" issue, while other LMS systems (who may have dated SCORM player implementation) would be prone to having this SCORM "course completion" issue?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Benchmark - SCORM course completion issue among different LMS systems

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
re 1) - see my thoughts here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=393609#p1588111
short version - use H5P smile

2. I think Moodle's built-in SCORM 1.2 implementation is pretty good these days, but you still need to tune your server correctly - (a lot of people run Moodle on a cheap un-tuned web host and on these platforms SCORM can struggle a lot.) The gold standard (for SCORM) is always anything that uses Rustici's scorm engine. You can run this in Moodle (although the Moodle plugin probably needs an update) - there are also quite a few cloud hosted LMS systems that white-label the Rustici engine.
Average of ratings: Very cool (3)