Moodle cluster on Windows Server

Moodle cluster on Windows Server

by Mohammad Modallal -
Number of replies: 4

Dears,

I trying to install moodle on cluster environment, i searched on internet but most of the articles are about installing on linux not windows. can any one give me step-by-step installation guide, here is my setup

i read in some articles that i have to make moodle metadata shared between the nodes and to enable something called memcached, but i don't know how to do that ( I have basic knowledge in infrastructure and servers). 

• Moodle version 3.7
  • 2 front-end virtual servers with windows server 2016 standard 64-bit (each node 16 GB RAM, 4 Cores)
  • IIS Webserver
  • using FastCGI on IIs WebServer
  • Citrix Load balancer
  • 2 MSSQL Server 2017 standard (32 GB RAM, 8 Cores, shared SQL)

Note: according to above server specs, do we really need cluster for 200 users ( most likely around 40 concurrent)

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohammad Modallal

Re: Moodle cluster on Windows Server

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Firstly, I don't know *anything* about Windows. However, the principals are exactly the same.

However, I'm going to start with asking why do you believe you need the additional complexity of a cluster - especially as you are struggling with how to do it?

Oh... and moving to Hardware and Performance forum...

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Mohammed

For comparison, a VPS with 2 vCPU / 4 GB RAM from a quality provider (SSD storage technology in the host) will handle 40 concurrent examination candidates (Quiz module), on default LAMP - Debian / Ubuntu CentOS with careful installation - starting at https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Installation_quick_guide. Later for more performance tuning topics you can visit the Hardware and Performance forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596.

I know, this may not sound helpful at a first glance. But this helps if nothing else the environment. As we all experience daily, there is an environment disaster happening.

Edit: I started the reply in the Installation forum, the reply pops up in the Hardware and performance forum. Magic! smile
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mohammad Modallal -
Thanks Visvanath, i will the forum and update the post if found anything helpful,

any idea definitely help bro, thanks

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
first, for mare 40 concurrent, you will be more than good enough on just one of VMs with 8GB RAM and 4 core (depending upon your hypervisor).

but lets say, you're targeting high availability, then why citrix load balancer? as windows server comes with built-in tools for load balancing and high availability already, and all free to use.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)