Moodle backup performance

Re: Moodle backup performance

από Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Αριθμός απαντήσεων: 13
Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers Φωτογραφία Translators
Hi

Question: Does the server freeze after churning, say 15 hours, or is it unusable all those 15 hours?

Depending on the answer it is possible that that we are talking of two different things: a) automated course backups taking very long - half a day or more b) the server freezes. I don't think both happen at the same time. You wrote "it was seemingly toward the end of the backup judging from the logs".

Assuming there are indeed two things, a) could be normal for those ridiculously large (>10 GB) courses when the tuning tool proposes 9 GB spool but you have 4 GB RAM.

Question: You noticed "live" (top command) 100 MB of swap? That doesn't mean anything. A true swap is comparable to the amount of RAM, order of GB. How much swap space is there?

You must have a monitoring tool running, which _records_ all the critical parameters - including the "steal" Howard mentioned. Munin is the most known one in this forum. (See the attached graph.)

To follow up b) you need developer level logs from https://docs.moodle.org/en/Debugging.

Are you the (Linux) system administrator or the Moodle administrator trying to link the helpers here with your institution's sys-admin? A Linux sys-admin won't call his system just "a Linux" and stops there.
;-(

Συνημμένο cpu-week.png
Σε απάντηση σε Visvanath Ratnaweera

από Tyler Bogdan -
We aren't as big as you might imagine. I am the moodle administrator and the only person here with any experience with Linux. I have set up Munin in order to get some more insight. Which graphs would be most useful to see?

Here are some of the graphs as they stand right now.  I've included CPU and RAM because those seem important but you and Ken also asked about swap so I've added that one as well

CPU graph
RAM graph
SWAP graph

Most of this graph is just standard moodle use.  The spike at the end is me running backups manually.  I've zoomed in below.  The first spike is a small course backup that only took about 4-5 minutes.  The second spike is me trying to backup a much larger course but eventually cancelling it because it would have taken a lot longer.  Both times there were complaints from end users that Moodle was inaccessible.  Even during the backup there is still some idle CPU which isn't exactly what I would expect if CPU were the issue.

CPU during backups

Steal is 0 across the board so this seems like it isn't a factor.  Do these graphs provide any more insight into what could be wrong?  Are there any other graphs from munin I should investigate?

Thanks!
Tyler

Σε απάντηση σε Tyler Bogdan

Hi

The graphs you provided already have a lot of information.

- This is regular Moodle usage, no automated course backup happened? If so, the site is under heavy load - day and night(?)

- No "steal". So can drop that topic.

- The two "hills" CPU usage coincide with high iowait. Which usually means db queries waiting for results.

- In you zoomed graph, iowait almost touches the user cpu usage. That is prohibitive.

- The server is swapping all the time. It shouldn't at all! See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=395746#p1595879.

Compare with the attached memory graph of a Moodle server under light load. (Physical memory 16 GB). The peaks during early hours are automated course backups.

You should invest time on the last point first. How much is the physical RAM now? What happens if you double it, for comparison? If no immediate reaction, start with the database. See Ken's posts on this subject.

Συνημμένο memory-day.png

από Tyler Bogdan -
OK, I have increased the server specifications to 4 vcpus, 16 GiB memory as well as increased the capability of the disk (it is now Premium SSD in Azure).
Visit https://lo.rcsd.ca/munin (admin, moodle2020) to view my munin graphs.

There are no automated backups currently going. Backups are all disabled. I tried to run 1 backup of a >5 GB course manually via cli (sudo -u apache php admin/cli/backup.php --courseid=x) at about 7:35AM server time. You can see the CPU spike on the graph.

Moodle was so slow that it was unusable and I had to cancel the backup. Do any of these graphs give an indication of what is causing this? I see that swap spiked during this time but CPU and RAM seem fine..?

από Ken Task -
Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers

For me ...

Link to Munion produces:
Unauthorized

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Besides that ... IMHO ... of all the pieces that affect performance of a Moodle, database server config ... as well as how moodle code interacts with DB server *IS* the most important.

So have you tried installing and running MySQLTuner?  And in your case, might have to run it from web server as well as DB server.

Ok, spike was present but what caused the spike?  Was it mysqld?

Destination of a CLI backup was missing from command you issued ... which means moodle will use moodledata/temp/backup/ as a build area.  Where is moodledata?   On the same server as the web service?

One of the checks MySQLTuner makes is overall memory ... memory for DB server ... also memory for other processes server needs to function.

Here's a clip from a Moodle server that has 16Gig under VMWare virtual for a K12 entity with over 9000 users ... typically used in a blended fashion.

[--] Physical Memory     : 15.6G
[--] Max MySQL memory    : 4.4G
[--] Other process memory: 1.5G

[OK] Maximum reached memory usage: 3.3G (20.96% of installed RAM)
[OK] Maximum possible memory usage: 4.4G (28.44% of installed RAM)
[OK] Overall possible memory usage with other process is compatible with memory available
[OK] Slow queries: 0% (0/52M)

and of InnoDB:

[OK] InnoDB buffer pool / data size: 3.0G/2.2G

buffer pool must be larger than actual data size or DB server will suffer performance.

From same server ... top set to show what's using SWAP:

Mem:  16333820k total, 15987068k used,   346752k free,  1079616k buffers
Swap:  8208380k total,   102808k used,  8105572k free, 10316708k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  SWAP COMMAND     
 7706 mysql     20   0 5157m 3.5g 5168 S  0.3 22.4 201:05.56  60m mysqld

Yep, it's using SWAP ... which isn't good, but considering it's an all in one box not much wiggle room exist for tweaks.   Backups cannot be run during prime time usage ... and some courses require CLI backup on weekends when site isn't used as much as 'prime time' during week.

'SoS', Ken

Σε απάντηση σε Ken Task

από Tyler Bogdan -
Here is the result of my MySQLTuner run.. There are definitely some things that need changing. Can I ask what your my.cnf looks like?

Additionally, I'm not super concerned about getting automated backups running again.  My primary concern at this point is that teachers have the ability to back up their own courses, and in doing so they lock up the server.  They almost always do this during work hours which is the worst possible time for this to happen.

This is an all-in-one box, db and front end are all hosted here, backups are sent to moodledata which is also hosted on the same disk at /var/www/moodledata.

από Howard Miller -
Φωτογραφία Core developers Φωτογραφία Documentation writers Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers Φωτογραφία Peer reviewers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers
Honestly... while working with mysqltuner is always a good idea, unless your database configuration is somehow insane I doubt it's your problem. If it was the problem then you'd see it in the day to day operation of Moodle.

από Ken Task -
Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hesitant to share a my.cnf file from another server ... temping to copy and paste with no real understanding by another reader could result in more issues.

Will comment on what you have shared, however ...

[!!] InnoDB buffer pool / data size: 128.0M/9.0G

not good ...

Recommendations Tuner made:

innodb_buffer_pool_size (>= 9.0G) if possible.

Think you can =  to.  Percona folks (I think) recommend increasing InnoDB buffer pool instances 1 per 1 Gig ... so in your case 9 ... but have had servers with less instances perform just fine.   Most tweaking one does gradually ... run a day ... check again.   Could push into diminishing returns ... ie, opposite of desired outcome.

Now will this one tweak solve overall ... no ... like you said, teachers desiring to backup course during prime time you can't control.  Can you ID which teachers courses and do some research on those courses?

Could you determine when is prime time and then request of those teachers NOT to backup at those time(s)?

From this:

[OK] Highest usage of available connections: 34% (52/151)

Appears prime time peak ... at least with this run of tuner ... shows only 52 connections and you have plenty of room to spare there with the default max of 151.

One of the other things I install is Logwatch ... runs once a day and sends summary of server activity to designated user.  Reason ... one might be surprised how many machines are out there whacking away at your server ... scans for research ... or so they say ... could be hitting your server more frequently than desired and during pime time.

'SoS', Ken

OK. The topic is individual backups through the web interface. Notice that after upgrading the resources the swapping has vanished. Still, it is odd, that during a backup the network traffic should peak.
Συνημμένο fw_conntrack-day.png
Συνημμένο if_eth0-day.png

από Howard Miller -
Φωτογραφία Core developers Φωτογραφία Documentation writers Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers Φωτογραφία Peer reviewers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers
I haven't read the thread in detail but one can only conclude that an external resource is being accessed.

I would do a very careful audit of the machine configuration to check for any external shares etc. that might be lurking.
Σε απάντηση σε Howard Miller

Exactly. It is not the amount of CPU load which is suspicious. Assuming this happens during a GUI course backup, the high network traffic, and even more the FIN_WAIT at the firewall, coinciding with it, are highly unusual. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=395746#p1597736. Yes, a network resource is "lurking".