Drawer vs. Blocks in Boost Theme

Re: Drawer vs. Blocks in Boost Theme

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This kind of feature is already implemented in a couple of themes, so its not that difficult to achieve.
My personal preference would be to have two regions (at least), one being the standard blocks on the right as they are, the other being a pull out drawer feature. It's then upto the course creator/teacher which region they add the blocks to.
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Richard,

I like your idea to have both as an option. The RemUI theme has the feature where you can collapse the right hand region like the Navdrawer does. Feedback I hear is that some users love it, but some do not because they want the blocks to always be visible to students in a course. Having two regions solves this. Another situation where this would help is when you have both site level blocks and course level blocks competing for space or when there are just too many blocks for one screen: having some collapsible horizontal space would help that too.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Need to revisit my Handlebar theme too - that should have several regions, including pull out ones, though tbh it does need some attention for 3.8/3.9, and was always designed as a theme to build from rather than anything else (it was the basis for the theme I built for my last work place and was released at a stage before applying all the uni specific design to it). But it should have all the basics in there for anyone who wants to apply it to other themes smile
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Rajiv Sathian -
Frankly Randy, during our initial development of Edwiser RemUI theme the Moodle users whom we talked to pointed out that they wanted the course content to be prominently displayed compared to blocks. On further investigation, the blocks were considered to be occasionally used section.
Hence we added them under the sidebar.

Along with the option that if a teacher wants to show course content section along with blocks then they could fix the sidebar in an always visible manner