Having difficulties with assignments - need to hide grades and users are not being notified of feedback

Having difficulties with assignments - need to hide grades and users are not being notified of feedback

by Chris Swinney -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

v3.6

We use an assignment activity to collect and mark interview candidates. We don't want the interviewees to see their grade (obviously) but even though I have hidden all the grades in the gradebook setup, the grade is still viewable to the user. I have review this page (https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Grade_hiding), but it make little sense to me beyond what I have already done. 

In the activity in the teachers (interviewers) view, we see:

Activity grading summary

In the gradebook we see:

Gradebook setup

In the student (interviewees) view, they see:

Student activity grade score

Feedback needs to be shown, just not the grade.

In addition, when the teacher submits feedback to the student, the student is no longer notified, even though the "Notify student" option is ticked. The user should receive and email and online notification.  

Grading and notifying user

Further, the student notification preferences seem to be fine:

Student notification preferences

Any help would be welcome

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Swinney

Re: Having difficulties with assignments - need to hide grades and users are not being notified of feedback

by Chris Swinney -
This is actually linked to another comment about the poor nature of the gradebook in general (see https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=394174)

I think it would also be nice to see the full submission in the email notification.

Re: Having difficulties with assignments - need to hide grades and users are not being notified of feedback

by Acqua Alta -
"I think it would also be nice to see the full submission in the email notification." -

Do you mean that you want the LMS to attach a file to each e-mail it sends to the users?
If so, think about it resources-wise (mainly bandwidth in mind). It's not the ideal thing to do.
In reply to Acqua Alta

by Chris Swinney -
We use the online text method of assessment, so there would be no appreciable bandwidth increase here. Sure, I suppose if this were to be used for file uploads of a Word/PDF dissertation or thesis, then the files could be large, but email today is quite capable to dealing with at least up 20MB files with no issue, so I would suggest file up to this size would be fine. The ability to link directly to anything larger should then be a standard.

However, the other issues are really important and I really would like to resolve them:

1) Hiding grades from students
2) No notifications sent to students that feedback has been submitted from a marker.

The gradebook in general seems to be, well, at best, teriable. So much so that I had to post another comment about that - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=394174

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
1. Teriable is not a word! At least not one that I can find anywhere...do you mean terrible? (I normally would not even mention this but you have used it twice now - wink)
2. You can actually hide the whole gradebook from the student as well as individual grades - I suspect that the set up is not quite right.
3. Students should receive notifications but I do think that there is an issue that it is maybe prompted by a grade change which if they are not entering a grade might be the issue.

I tend to agree with you however that there are a lot of issues with the gradebook.  I also hate the fact that the link in the email doesn't take you to the assignment submission in question - that just seems basic...and notifications and views should be a lot clearer and simpler...

Please post your tracker number - you might also look at the MUA project proposal in the tracker that also looks to address a lot of gradebook issues...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Swinney -
@emma - For 1) I do apologise, I am quite dyslexic and I don't always use my screen reader when posting to a forum. Alos looks like I must have added that word to the Google spell check as there is no red line.

2) I would like student to see the feedback from the gradebook, just not the grades. I have not been able to figure this out.
3) Students used to receive notifications (both online and via email) - they don't anymore, but for the life of me I don't know what has changed. As mentioned, teachers receive notifications with no issue when a submission has been posted (although getting to it is terrible (😉).

I need to sleep, so will look at the tracker tomorrow.