I would like to give students a regular opportunity to write about different topics and collect their work (including multimedia elements) in one place over a longer period of time (typically at least two years).
This are the main features I would like to use in such an activity.
- Everything is in one place and students can keep working on all parts of their document.
- Students should be able to easily include multimedia resources in their document.
- Some parts of the document need to be invisible to other users (not the teacher).
- Students should be able to export their documents in format they can easily reimport or edit in another system (not necessarily Moodle).
- It would be nice, if students could import pages or chapters the teacher has prepared for them (like basic structures for an essay, prompts, ...)
At first, I thought that Moodle Book could be an ideal solution because ...
- Students can work on a single document and revisit parts of it.
- With the Atto editor it is very simple to include all kinds of multimedia elements.
- You can hide single pages of a book from other users.
- Books can be exported as epub files.
However, digging a bit deeper, I ran into some concerns and issues:
- In the Book FAQ it says: "Students are not supposed to be able to edit book; allowing it would be a serious security issue. The capability to edit book chapters is intended strictly for trusted users. Use a Wiki activity instead."
So I wonder: Is security really such an issue? In my case only one student would have writing rights to a single book resource. As for wikis, they have a number of features which I think are not very suitable for the task at hand.
- Exporting a book as an epub file leads to some errors when you try to open it externally (re-importing to Moodle works fine). Browser plugins for epub through errors.
This doesn't happen in a epub Reader software, but there the multimedia elements are not displayed. Or at least I've not found an application where this works.
- As far as I know, there is no simple way to export a single page or chapter from a book and reimport it again.
- Students can easily use the tool.
- Students own the content, they can take it along in a readable format when they leave our school.