Database connection failure

Database connection failure

by Guest User -
Number of replies: 4
I have had several database connection failures that last for about 25-30 minutes.  Our web site and Moodle web site have been down at the same time, same day of the week (a fortnight apart).  I read the post prior, and several related to this one, but "MySQL" is a little too hard to grasp as I haven't had enough time in.  At both times, I had less than 5 students logged on, (I am sharing hosting though).  After checking with the hosting company, they deny any issues with their 99.9% upload service.  They assured me that I will not have as many issues if I move to their semi-dedicated server @ 75USD/month.  I apparently need more MySQL resources?  Eventually, I would like to support about 100-600 students.

My simplistic understanding of the issue points to server maintenance.  I am using Moodle 1.5.3, and have not changed anything (that I know of).
Is there a plain language approach/resource to understanding this very complicated issue?  Also, if any one has a Moodle friendly hosting company referral it would be great.  I am looking at Hostgator.

Thank you.

Cheers!

Attachment Picture_2.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Guest User

Re: Database connection failure

by Gert Jan Bouman -
You could start by disabling the use of persistent connections, that seems to solve most occurances of this problem.
In reply to Gert Jan Bouman

Re: Database connection failure

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
This is the correct forum. In fact, a discussion just down the page asks basically the same thing: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=37365

db persist: false is the default configuration, so that is probably not the problem. I have seen this happen too, and it is typically a problem with your host/server and not with your Moodle installation (in other words, there's most likely nothing you can do to fix it yourself). If it continues, you might want to search the forums for recommendations for hosting providers. In my experience, 600 users typically do not put a huge drain on mysql resources unless you are using certain modules, e.g. chat. Also, please see MoodleDocs for more info on performance.