Course Id Number

Re: Course Id Number

by Dagwin Roelants -
Number of replies: 0
SCO = Shared Content Object AKA SCORM package.

I use Moodle as an LMS. Always looking for ways to improve user experience and with less work for me smile

I have an external tool to simulate chemical plants and do exercises in it.
These exercises are published in Moodle as SCORM packages and have a button to start the external software and load the exercise.
So I managed to make 1 Scorm package where the content is retrieved from a DB instead of being part of the package itselves.
All this Courses share the ONESCO with link to an "extern scorm manifest" to the imsmanifest.xml. From there the JS code is looking for the CourseID and does the Query in the DB (with php) to get the content of the index.html.

Why is this so amazing? I make 1 course, link the ONESCO SCORM activity to it and then copy the course a few hundred times.
Depending on the CourseID, other content is retrieved from the DB.
If I need to change something in the scorm system files, I just have to edit 1 file to change hundreds of exercises.
If I need to change something in the content, I execute a query on the DB and all the instances where the search returns positive are changed.

The users login to Moodle, they start a course, the Scorm package is getting the content from the DB.
This is really working well.
As I have Moodle for several companies all with the same content, it is not that easy to make sure all Courses with for instance id=300, must produce the same content. If they make a course themselves, the several Moodle 's aren't synced anymore. With some DB actions (renumbering id) I manage to keep them identical
It would be heaven to be able to use idnumber. Just giving the search key in the id number field an the desired content is produced. In that case, the actual CourseId isn't important anymore.