requirments for moodle server

requirments for moodle server

by Mikas Krukauskas -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, peeps,

I have a question for you. Today I am starting with a new Moodle project. I want to ask what are yours recomendations for system requirments(CPU, RAM, STORAGE ). We want to set up two servers: one for web server and second one for databse server. We are going to use Ubuntu servers. My question is what VMs system requirments should look like for each server (Web and db). We are planning to have about 100 users.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mikas Krukauskas

Re: requirments for moodle server

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
For 100 users you could just use one server but either way 4GB ram, 2+ CPU's, 40-100GB storage should be ok. Really depends on what you will be putting on the site.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mikas Krukauskas -
Thank you for your reply. to make things clear I am talking about 100 active users. We are going to upload video tutorials, quizes etc. And we want separate db and frontend servers. So according you what requirments should be on databse server (CPU, RAM)? We are going to deploy mySQL.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Do a search - the question has been asked so many times - you should find something that fits...someone had a tool not long ago that you could punch in numbers and it would give some recommendations. I would still start with the same basics and just make sure you can adjust up if needed...

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Keep same configuration at minimum for DB server as well, as Emma mentioned (4GB RAM + 2 Core), but again, consider it as minimum. What kind of storage you have to use with VMs?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
If you are beginning, don't make things too complicated. Start with a modest configuration, like the 2 vCPU / 4 GB RAM suggested by others, one machine for both the web server and the database server, install Moodle, run the Moodle benchmark https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=335357 and report back.

That is the whole point of virtualization, you can easily add more resources, if necessary.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)