Restricting access to assignment by student

Restricting access to assignment by student

by John Andre -
Number of replies: 2

I have a course with 150 students starting soon.  I will put each of them in either Group A or Group B (all of the work is individual so the groups are simply for administrative purposes).

I plan to use assignments as a way for them to submit their work. However, each week, only one group will submit their work. That is, on Jan 1st, students in Group A will submit ASSMT01A. Then on Jan 8th, students in Group B will submit ASSMT01B. Then on Jan 15th, Group A will submit ASSMT02A and so on.

These are individual assignments but perhaps Moodle groups can be used here. However, I do not see the way. There are currently no identifiers in Moodle about which students are in group A vs B. However, perhaps I could add something to some student profile attribute (but I would not want them to be able to change it).

One of my concerns is that a student in Group A will miss their deadline and then try to sneak their work into the assignment for Group B (claiming, "Oh, I did not understand."). We are not marking in Moodle (right now, we are just using this as a document collection tool) so we might not catch this until the end of the semester, and that is a bit late to deal with this kind of conflict.

Any ideas how I could accomplish this so that only Group A students could submit to ASSMT01A and only Group B students could submit to ASSMT01B?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Andre

Re: Restricting access to assignment by student

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have you see up Moodle groups? See the documentation Groups (link) Then you can set the assignments to 'separate groups' via the setting Common module settings and then you can set a group override in the assignment  (link) so that each group has its own deadline for the assignment
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Restricting access to assignment by student

by John Andre -
Oh, Mary, this is perfect. Actually, I now see that once you have setup groups then the "Restrict Access" now includes restricting by group (it does not show if you do not have any groups setup, yet).