Switching to Active Directory authenticaion

Switching to Active Directory authenticaion

by Seth Bgm -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I am managing a Moodle installation for a small school who wants to switch all their authenticaion to Active Directory. I know there are several guides on how to do this with Moodle, but I'm unclear on what to expect in terms of implimenting Active Directory sign-on on a Moodle site that already contains a local userbase. 

What happens if the same user exists both in Moodle's own database and in AD? When Moodle syncs with AD and encounters a username that already exists in its database, does it simply update the existing user's login credentials with whatever is stored in AD? Or, will I end up with a mess of duplicate users?

Basically, I'm just not sure how all of that would play out and I want to make sure I'm clear on that before I do anything.

Thanks for your help! : )

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Bgm

Re: Switching to Active Directory authenticaion

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Most likely you will have duplicate users, as discussed in
Issue on multiple user accounts for one person.

I believe, if the AD data tally with what exist in Moodle, like the 'username' field, one should be able to convert those users just by careful setting the LDAP authentication and changing the 'auth' field in the 'user' table from 'manual' to 'ldap'. You need to do some testing in a copy of your site. Read Dave's reply in the above discussion.