Dropdowns and tab links not working in any theme after upgrade to 3.7

Dropdowns and tab links not working in any theme after upgrade to 3.7

by Christe McMenomy -
Number of replies: 2
I am running LINUX 4.19.57-gentoo with PHP 7.3.7 and mariadb 10.2.22.

I have a working Moodle 3.5 production site using the Essentials theme that I need to upgrade.

I have upgraded my test site from Moodle 3.5 to Moodle 3.7. Prior to the upgrade, I switched from my 3.5 Essentials theme to Boost, since Essentials is not available as a 3.7 theme, and cleared the theme cache.

I then ran the upgrade, which apparently worked without any issues. I logged in as the administrator to further configure the Boost theme. I can: log in as the administrator and navigate to the site administration page using the BOOST sidebar menu BUT non of the tabs work.

I have access to the links on the Site Administration tab. The user dropdown menu does not work; I cannot log out.

I was able to use the search field on the site administration tab to look for "theme", and click on the listed theme selector. I have tried switching to the Classic theme and clearing the theme cache, but that did not help; none of the dropdowns in Classic them work either, and the site administration tabs still don't work.

I have tried turning on the developer flag for themes to force cache renewal; does not help. The apache log is not reporting any PHP errors. Pretty much anything that involves a search.php call is broken. Links accessed through calls to settings.php work.

[Looking at a quiz using drag-and-drop labels on an image, the image is not loading ALTHOUGH the link exists in the question and when clicked on, accesses the image. Don't know if this is related or something else. ].

Obviously, I need to resolve these issues before I can upgrade the production site, which I need to do so that our teachers can prep courses for classes starting Sept 1.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christe McMenomy

Re: Dropdowns and tab links not working in any theme after upgrade to 3.7

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What about the PHP log file? Did you uninstall Essential before upgrading? It does sound like some JS is breaking things, what is showing on the console (F12) on the browser?
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Dropdowns and tab links not working in any theme after upgrade to 3.7

by Christe McMenomy -
Thank you so much for the suggestions. The FireFox console reported that I was getting a script error for core/first. Turns out I got bit by the Mac tar issue reported here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=364198&parent=1502659 -- I had done a dry run on my Mac and tarred the files for installation on the gentoo server. When I reinstalled all the files by FIRST copying the zip to the gentoo system and unzipping them there, everything worked.

Thank you so much...I would never have figured this out (well...maybe in a couple of weeks, after losing weight, hair, and my mind a few times) without that pointer.