Analytics sends out useless emails after site upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7?

Analytics sends out useless emails after site upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7?

by stefan weber -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers

I just upgraded our test site from 3.6.3 to 3.7.1.

Our test server is configured to divert all mails, after the update a mail to around 600 users was sent.

The mails are all empty and only consist of 4 buttons:

Re: [DIVERTED xxx@technikum-wien.at] You have upcoming activities due
Date: 2019-07-27 06:20:13

I do not want my users to get useless mails when i update the prod site. If I understand correctly, these junk mail are sent by analytics.

So an upgrade to 3.7 just introduces a new option in analytics without notification, that I cannot disable easily and results in useless junk mail? Who thought this was a good idea?

Since there is no option to turn off analytics in admin settings (again, who thought this was a good idea?), I will now have to manually delete this unwanted module each time I upgrade Moodle?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to stefan weber

Re: Analytics sends out useless emails after site upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Stefan,

You can disable the notification emails either by disabling the 'Upcoming activities due' model in Site administration / Analytics / Analytics models or by un-setting the capability moodle/analytics:listowninsights for the authenticated user role.

A number of analytics UX improvements are planned for 3.8, including improving the upcoming activities due notification email (MDL-66090).

Average of ratings: Useful (4)