How to set up Moodle courses for multiple groups allowing change in course contents

How to set up Moodle courses for multiple groups allowing change in course contents

by Albert R. -
Number of replies: 7

I run a Moodle 3.7 site with currently 4 courses (all topic based). These courses are used by different schools at the same time, so what we have been doing is creating different groups in each course (one per school), enrolling the students of each school in the corresponding group of that school. Same with teacher accounts (all non-editing teachers), we just enroll them in whatever group they're supposed to manage. They don't have content-editing capabilities because we don't want one school to be able to modify the contents to their liking, since that would affect other schools of course.

The problem that we're facing now is that we have a new school that wants much more control over the contents of the courses. They would like each teacher to be able to add/remove contents (lessons, tests, etc) for their own group, or hide/unhide topics depending on the progress of the students in their group.

I'm not very sure how to set up our Moodle site to allow all that. Do I need to make a copy of every course for every group? How do I allow certain teachers to modify the course just for their group, but so it doesn't affect how other groups see the course? For example, if I have a teacher that wants to hide 10 out of the 15 topics in a course, how do I allow that to happen just for the group that teacher is managing, but the rest of groups see the 15 topics? Or is this just not possible in Moodle? Also, there will be more groups in the future, where the teachers will want the same kind of control over the contents, would I have to keep duplicating courses over time for each group? 

In general, I would prefer to avoid having to duplicate courses if possible, they're already really big courses with lots of files, lessons, activities, etc... and the backups are already a nightmare to handle. Or is it possible to share resources in different courses so duplicating a course only duplicates the "entry" but not the actual files, lessons, activities, etc?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Albert R.

Re: How to set up Moodle courses for multiple groups allowing change in course contents

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Albert

I see only one option. Create seperate courses for the school. If you need this for lots of courses use course creation by csv upload and templatecourse

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: How to set up Moodle courses for multiple groups allowing change in course contents

by Albert R. -
Hi Ralf,

Thank you for the idea, I figured this would be the "easiest" solution, just worried about the size of the courses.

Albert
In reply to Albert R.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Could you create a 'master' moodle site in which all the resources are centrally created and maintained.

Then, on an 'access' moodle site, each school has its own course(s) which are populated by LTI from the master site.

The resources would be centrally controlled, but the school teachers would be able to apply conditional access rules, or to hide/show the resources on their particular version as required.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Albert R. -
This sounds like a good idea, I'll definitely look into it more, just worried about having to manage too many moodle sites
In reply to Albert R.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Or, another alternative is to set up restrictions based on group--this activity/resource is only available if you are/are not a member of this group.  You add the new stuff and make it only available to the one school. 

If you use course completion, this would totally destroy that but if you don't, it should work.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Albert R. -
This sounds interesting, the only thing is that I would like teachers to have control over what to modify for their group, and we do use course completion...
In reply to Albert R.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, if you use course completion, that would NOT be the way to go. I'd second (or third) the copy suggestion and let the teachers do what they want in their particular course (unless it is supposed to be a standardized curriculum, at which point I would have all the teachers meet and discuss needs and finalize one thing).