Verify domain ownership on Google Search for MoodleCloud-based website

Verify domain ownership on Google Search for MoodleCloud-based website

by Hristian Daskalov -
Number of replies: 6

Hi!

I am struggling to verify the domain I own, because it is based on Moodle Cloud  and the option to add a tag in the head-section of the site or upload an HTML file under the main directory  does not work. Has anyone faced similar issue with a cloud-based Moodle (at https://moodlecloud.com/)?

I am adding the question in the Themes forum, as there might be a setting, related to the theme, which i am missing, that will allow me to verify the site ... If  that's not the place, i will be thankful to guide me to the right place to raise the question.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hristian Daskalov

Re: Verify domain ownership on Google Search for MoodleCloud-based website

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I cannot grasp what it is you are having a problem with.If you own a Domain Name then it has to be on a server in order to be seen. If it is not in MOODLE CLOUD THEN WHERE IS IT?

Confused.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Hristian Daskalov -
''Verifying a domain name'' is what every site owner does on Google Search Console https://search.google.com/search-console/ in order to utilize a number of google services. In my case, i need to run the procedure in order to use Google Oauth service (students register with their google account). ''Verifying a domain name'' is done in 2 different ways - you either enter a meta-tag provided through Google Search Console in the head section of your theme, or you add an HTML file in your directory. Moodle Cloud restricts both so my question was if someone has faced the same situation and has found a backdoor.

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I didn’t know you could use your own domain name on MoodleCloud (other than just pointing it as a forward) - which package are you on?

If you’re just pointing your domain to your MoodleCloud site, then you can use the DNS verification method with a TXT record - see 
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/9008080?hl=en. In fact, you could do that even if you can use your domain on MoodleCloud.

However, it’s definitely not themes related and there is a dedicated MoodleCloud forum ;)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Hristian Daskalov -

Thanks, Jon! The reason I posted here is to find out if someone is aware on how to edit theme's <head> element on a MoodleCloud site, no matter the reason. Btw, the <body> element is available to change - add tags, code, etc., but not the <head> from what i can see.

Now, when it comes to my particular need to add a meta-tag in the head element, it is because i need this verification of the subdomain (nsd.moodle.school). Because otherwise I cannot leverage the full potential of Google API plugins. Forwarding an external, verified domain towards my MoodleCloud site will not solve this.

Thanks for the comment, though. It seems i just won't be able to add this meta-tag.

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The head tag is locked down by a config setting in MoodleCloud. I suspect that’s related to the fact that there is potential to do some malicious things in the head of an html page. However, you raise a good point that things like google analytics and search functionality often requires an entry in that section. Might be worth asking in the MoodleCloud forum if they could add a special setting in the theme to allow that content without affecting head in general.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'll just move this to the MoodleCloud forum so it gets seen there ;)