Redis and stunnel

Redis and stunnel

by Mark Johnson -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all, We're experimenting with running Moodle in Azure. We're using a Redis PaaS instance for our application cache. Since php_redis doesn't support SSL, we're looking at stunnel as a solution to encrypt connections to the cache.

The connections work, but we've found that having stunnel in the mix seriously impacts the capacity of the server. We're seeing it able to handle about 2/3 as many requests per second, with a slower response time. It appears that this is due to stunnel consuming a lot of CPU resources as load ramps up, leaving less available for the web server processess.

I realise we're not going to get encryption for free, but this seems to be a much larger overhead that I expcted. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we might improve the performance with stunnel?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Johnson

Re: Redis and stunnel

by Ian Dellbridge -

Hi Mark,

Did you ever come up with an alternative for this? or a work around?

Regards

Ian

In reply to Ian Dellbridge

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ian, I'm afraid we haven't come up with a better solution for Azure.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Ian Dellbridge -

Thanks for responding !

We ended up changing to Premium Redis and utilising the private end point via a non ssl connection. Allowed us to drop stunnel completely ! Costs £££'s though.