Why is there a limit to grades on assignment module?

Why is there a limit to grades on assignment module?

by Kiwon Park -
Number of replies: 5

If I enter the maximum grade score for the assignment above the score set by the administrator, I will see "Invalid Grade Value. This is an integer between 1 and 100".

I am wondering why when I enter grades in my assignments, the maximum points are limited in the overall system.

Also, I am wondering why I was able to input only integers without float point input.

What problem do I have if I customize source code the float to allow input?

What problem do I have if I customize source code the grade score to allow free input?

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kiwon Park

Re: Why is there a limit to grades on assignment module?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You should not customize source code, or you will be on your own maintaining the code for your Moodle.
Your limited to a maximum of 100 points because that;s what you have your site set to.
Go to Site administration. In the search box type, grade, and click on Search. Scan the results looking for, Grade point maximum and Grade point default.
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Re: Why is there a limit to grades on assignment module?

by Kiwon Park -
Hello.
Thank you for answer.
Even if maintenance is difficult, I want to customize it because it is too inconvenient.

I know I can adjust the maximum of the assignment in the admin settings.

I'm wondering why there are no other grades to limit but why should I set a grade maximum in admin setting ?

And I wonder why the assignment grades only provide an integer. why limit float.
In reply to Kiwon Park

Re: Re: Re: Why is there a limit to grades on assignment module?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"...why should I set a grade maximum in admin setting ?" - I would imagine it is because many schools use some form of standardized grading. This makes it so they can enforce what they want.

"And I wonder why the assignment grades only provide an integer. why limit float." - Have you ever tried marking an assignment with decimal point grades? e.g. 92.5. It works for me.

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why is there a limit to grades on assignment module?

by Kiwon Park -
Thank you for answer.
It is possible to enter the student score as a decimal score in the grade.

However, when I add a new assignment, I can't enter the highest score decimal. only integer.
In reply to Kiwon Park

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why is there a limit to grades on assignment module?

by AL Rachels -
So, just what decimal score do you want to enter?