Blank assignments when annotating using Google Drive Converter

Blank assignments when annotating using Google Drive Converter

by Jack Robertson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All,

I hope someone can help or point me in a direction to solve this.

We're using Moodle version 3.5.3. Hosted on a AWS server.

PHP version 7.2.16

We having been having a problem when trying to mark students assignments on moodle where the files with .docx extension are coming up blank saying there's only 1 page, even though when we download the file it's a complete assignment. This also happens if they submit multiple files with different extensions but have at least 1 .docx file. 

We used to have Unoconv doing our conversion but since we've been having problems with that we switched over to Google Drive Converter, disabling unoconv in the site admin along the way. 

We managed to get google drive set up correctly and when we click the 'Test this converter is working properly' we get the message saying 'This document converter is configured properly.' and we can download the test document without issue. However this hasn't solved our issue with the blank assignment documents. 

I have tested with uploading new documents as well to some success with the google drive but it's still hit and miss whether you can annotate the document or not. 

Has anyone else ran into this issue and if so have you been able to fix it? 

Thanks for any help in advance!

Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jack Robertson

Re: Blank assignments when annotating using Google Drive Converter

by Nicolás Cabello -

Have you had any luck with this?, we have the same problem

In reply to Jack Robertson

by Nicolás Cabello -
got it! you have to configure google drive converter and change rtf to pdf

Administración del sitio > Extensiones > Repositorios > Gestionar repositorios > google drive configuration

default import format ==> pdf

Now assignment works fine
In reply to Nicolás Cabello

by Nicolás Cabello -
I must add that this worked fine with word 2010 docx files but not with word 2016 and images were not visualized either. So our solution was to follow the steps to install unoconv and that works perfect, all files from now on are converted (i disabled google drive converter and left only unoconv (older submissions still get blanck page)