Multiple assignments and submit any time - identifying when new submissions are made

Multiple assignments and submit any time - identifying when new submissions are made

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -
Number of replies: 6

Hi 

I have a course with approximately 3000 users and 9 assignments in it. The users submit once every 3 years (most of them, some will do it earlier) but it can be on any date. There are about 100 people who can mark these assignments (we are assigning them an appropriate role locally to each relevant assignment as they also submit into one of the assignments themselves, and they are accredited to mark only some of the assignments). 

What is the best way to tell if someone has submitted an assignment? Is it going to be a case of opening each assignment every day or week and filtering for new submissions that require grading? Anyone got a better idea? 

Is there a plugin we should consider?

I don't want to use the notifications in the assignment tool as then all the markers will be emailed, and we only want 2 administrative staff to look at the submissions and then assign them to a relevant marker. 

Thanks in advance for any ideas contributed to this post. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tabitha Parker (was Roder)

Re: Multiple assignments and submit any time - identifying when new submissions are made

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Install the GradeMe block. Then any submissions will appear In that block. 

Edit: and you can set the block to allow administrators to see all items needing grading (versus just the course teacher). 

I have the block installed on my dashboard and I use it to ensure all assignments have been graded by the end of the week. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Multiple assignments and submit any time - identifying when new submissions are made

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -

Thanks, installed that on our test site. 

Wondering if that block could be modified to show where things are in the marking workflow. 

We tweaked permissions to show the block only to the editing teacher not the markers, but our process is:

• admin person sees submission come in, checks it meets submission requirements, assigns a marker and changes workflow to show it is ready for marking
  • marker does their thing and changes workflow to show assessment is completed
  • admin goes back in and does various things to complete the process (such as moderation amongst other things), changes workflow to show process is completed and this then releases the grade

We are trying to find a quick way for the admin to see when they have bits to do. The grademe block shows all submissions at all stages, so she would need to notice the number changing from day to day unless we can restrict the block to show based on marking workflow... or find another block 

Alternative is going into each assignment and filtering by workflow for each assignment each day. 

Thanks for any ideas.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

We have the Grade Me block installed but it doesn't quite show what we need it to, hence we were looking for other solutions. It is a step in the right direction, though.

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I see - you need some type of work flow tool for everyone to manage their step in the process.

I'm wondering if you would need to have a custom report built (I.e. using the configurable reports block), which may be a cheaper/faster route than developing an entirely new  plug in (if all you need is to see the stage of where the assignments submissions are at any given point). 

I have no further input but will follow this thread because I'm very interested in other suggestions/solutions. 

by Ben Haensel -

Here's a Configurable Reports query I built to show ungraded assignments. You could modify that to show other scenarios in the grading workflow. Note that this report is built to be run in the course where you plan to grade using the  '%%COURSEID%%' filter. Also, with the join on the mdl_user_enrolments table, you'll only return those currently enrolled in the course.  -Ben

---------

SELECT 

u.firstname AS "First",

u.lastname AS "Last",

a.name AS "Assignment",

convert(FROM_UNIXTIME(asb.timemodified),datetime) as LastSubmission,

case when (ui.data is not null and ui.data <> '' and ui.data not like '%href%') 

then concat('<a target="_blank" href="%%WWWROOT%%/blocks/configurable_reports/viewreport.php?id=109&filter_var=',u.id,'">Accommodations</a>')

else ui.data end as OtherAlert,

case when asb.timemodified > g.timemodified

then 'resubmitted'

else asb.status end AS "Status",

concat('<a target="_blank" href="%%WWWROOT%%/mod/assign/view.php?rownum=0&userid=',asb.userid,'&id=',cm.id,'&action=grade','">Grade</a>')  AS "GradeLink"

FROM prefix_course AS c

JOIN prefix_course_modules AS cm ON c.id = cm.course

JOIN prefix_enrol AS en ON c.id = en.courseid

JOIN prefix_user_enrolments AS ue ON ue.enrolid = en.id

JOIN prefix_grade_items gi ON c.id = gi.courseid

JOIN prefix_grade_grades AS g on gi.id = g.itemid

JOIN prefix_modules m on cm.module = m.name

JOIN prefix_assign AS a ON c.id = a.course

JOIN prefix_assign_submission AS asb ON asb.assignment = a.id

JOIN prefix_user AS u ON u.id = asb.userid

left join prefix_user_info_data ui on ui.userid = u.id and ui.fieldid = '11'

WHERE c.id = '%%COURSEID%%'

AND ue.userid = u.id

AND m.name = 'assign'

AND cm.instance = a.id 

AND gi.itemmodule = 'assign'

AND gi.iteminstance = a.id

AND g.userid = u.id

AND (g.finalgrade is NULL or asb.timemodified > g.timemodified)

and asb.status <> 'new'

ORDER BY LastSubmission

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ben Haensel

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ben, I tried that on our test site but I can't seem to get it to show any results, despite there being ungraded assignments. My knowledge of SQL isn't robust enough to deal with some of the stuff that's in there.