Displaying course summary at course level

Displaying course summary at course level

by Tom Griffin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi community,

I want to be able to display the course summary at course level, not just once you are in the course. 

Attached is an example of how it looks now, I want the course summary to be visible without having to click on the 'i' on the far right.

If anyone out there can help that would be amazing! 

Attachment Cousre display - no descriptions.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Griffin

Re: Displaying course summary at course level

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Go to Site administration > Appearance > Courses and adjust the number in the Courses with summaries setting.

This controls the number of courses that will display the full summary before Moodle reverts to the "more information" icon.

Change it to something like 99, and unless you have more courses than that per category, it will show the full summary. Your page may be very long though.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Rick Jerz -

Interesting, Jon.  I took interest in this discussion to learn.

I tried your suggestion and it did not work for me.  I am not sure why.  I tried 99, then 1, and it had no effect.  My courses are still displayed with the "I".

I am using a Combo list to display my courses.  Maybe the courses with summaries setting interacts with other Frontpage settings?

It seems to me that I have been involved with a few people who wanted the "I" to show instead of the course summary.  I can't remember how I force the "I" to show.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jon Bolton -

Rick - that’s strange 🤔

It’s been like that for as long as I can remember. It’s in the current documentation but is mentioned as far back as v2.0 although I'm sure it pre-dates that.

It’s working for me though, I’ve just tested it on a custom theme and on Boost. I need to experiment with the different options for course display on the front page but don’t have time this evening.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Tom Griffin -

This did the trick, thanks very much Jon.

I had just added an 11th course in that particular folder so it must have defaulted to not displaying the course summary information as it was more than 10!

In reply to Tom Griffin

by Larry Richmond -
I am sure glad for the community! This one was about to drive me over the cliff (on the edge anyway). This solved my problem too!